Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Boxster advice - prone to engine failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '98 Boxster advice - prone to engine failure?

Hi guys,

my wife's looking at a Boxster produced 11/97. It's currently in fairly good shape with some 40k miles on it (owner is a friend of us) but what's the likelihood of these engines getting catastrophic failures? I see from web searches that 10/98 - 3/99 models are prone to it (sleeves are slipping?), but also see reports of '98 models having problems. Will a 11/97 have porous block? If yes, what exactly does this mean (appreciate some education on it!) and what problems are this known to cause? Any ways to detect it before any problems occur? Or could the biggest problem with this car be limited to RMS (which to my humble understanding is not too bad of a problem...??)

Thanks for any help, insight and sound advice!

Cheers
Old 05-13-2006, 06:05 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..if it already has 40K on it, porosity should not be an issue..this manifested itself early in the car's life.

...and the good news is that it is not a slipped sleeve candidate..those build dates started in 9/98.

You are correct a leaking RMS is NOT as big a deal as many people make it.

This will be a '98 model, which was a short run for the Boxster, as '99s were available in July of '98 here in the states.

Quick Reply: '98 Boxster advice - prone to engine failure?