Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Service Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was just reading this old thread. what happened Badcow?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a long time on this one...

The local deal programed it for $50 after hearing the story. PCNA said they couldn't help - that dealers are fee to charge what they want for service. The guy I talked to at PCNA said it was unfortunate, but that some dealers over charge.

I do not use the local dealer for things, and won't unless I have no other option.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow, thanks for the update! sounds like you got it programmed for a good price. (~1/2 hour labor)
Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 PM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's sad that SOME dealers feel that since you drive a Porsche, you can afford to pay! I'm the parts manager of a Porsche dealer here in New York, and have heard similar horror stories. I gotta tell you. it's those dealers that make honest stores like mine have to struggle to survive. To often, I find myself defending myself, because of something someone else has done.

That being said. if a flywheel is needed to do the clutch, the that's almost $1000. right there. I believe the clutch cover, disc and bearing should be about $450. the RMS is another $25. As for labor, I'm really not sure, but I paid my tech $400 to do it on his own time. Like you, I didn't realize that I had a RMS leak, but turns out I did.

Also, Please take in to consideration when talking about labor, that book time has little corrolation to clock time. In New York, we are legelly alowwed to charge "book time" to do a job. That time being what the manufacturer feels is a fair time to do a job, for an "average" tech. ssome techs are much faster, and some are much slower. As a rule, an experienced Porsche trained tech with many years under his belt and with a huge snap on tool box full of expensive tools can finish a job faster, (and better) then a rookie tech. so I look at it this way. book time rewards the well trained and highly experienced tech for all his time and money invested in his trade by paying more time then it takes him to do the job.

Ask yourself this question the next time you question book time........ don't you think you deserve to be better paid if you have more experience and are smarter then the guy next to you?

that said. if the dealer charges 3 hours to reprogram a key he's either greedy, stupid, or the only game in town.

I'm done. I'll put away my soap box now.

by the way the aero kit looks GREAT on my 98! now for the 3.2 conversion.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakes are something you should DIY. The money saved is major, and working on modern Porsche brake systems are easier then you think.

A typical front pad change on my 1997 Boxtser was about 15 minutes in my garage, that is like 7 minutes a side.

Changing out the rotors is slightly more involved, yet very easy with common hand tools.

Next time try it yourself and save $$$ and have fun.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legend motorsports
Ask yourself this question the next time you question book time........ don't you think you deserve to be better paid if you have more experience and are smarter then the guy next to you?
I don't mean to lift the thread but...that book thing is fine until it starts getting layered on. Like charging book price to do the clutch and charging book price to do the rms when they are both done under the same operation. I think that abusing the "book" in that way has everyone fed up with the book. I've heard techs brag about getting in so many more hours in the day than there are. Nobody wants that kind of shafting, whether it's a smart guy doing it or a dummie.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Rip Off