Sponsored by:

Desnorkeling questions - 2003 and later cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Desnorkeling questions - 2003 and later cars

OK..I know this subject has been beat to death, but I have to ask one more question on the subject, because I haven't read answers to these questions anywhere....

For those of you who have desnorkeled, have you experienced any problems if you find yourself caught out in a heavy rain? I understand that the frontal area was redesigned for the 2003 model to produce more ram effect, so it would follow that desnorkeled 2003 and up cars might be more prone to ingesting water under these conditions...but does it actually happen ?

Also, doesn't removing the snorkel change the air velocity to the intake negatively ? I would think that the snorkle produces increased air velocity over an open throat, although the open throat would provide more volume.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no answer to your 2003 issue. I've read countless times about people who have happily removed their snorkle. But, I for one, decided against it for two reasons: velocity and air temp. I don't have proof that either are a problem. But, as you indicated, just like the days of long velocity stacks (as I have on my car with Webers), there seems to be some velocity issue. Further, with all these people selling cold intake performance devices, it seems to me to be counter intuitive to change your air intake from fresh outside air to hot and dirty engine compartment air. Again, plenty of people are happy about doing it and I have no proof.

Quick Reply: Desnorkeling questions - 2003 and later cars