Sponsored by:

Boxster interior?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boxster interior?

I don't know the answer to this but maybe someone here does know.

I have some very old Porsche Boxster 'concept car' pamphlets and while looking at the interior I noticed how very similar the interior was to what finnaly became the 986 production interior. Does that mean that the 996 911 interior is actually a Boxster interior? My understanding is that the concept interior was intended for the Boxster first. What Also got me thinking about this was how much the new 997 interior and exterior seems reminsicent of the 993. Almost as if the 'Boxster inspired' era is over for the 911.

Even though the Boxster interior parts begin with 996 instead of 986 and people often say the interior in the Boxster is from the 911, I'm thinking they and Porsche got it backwards.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post pictures of what you have. I sort of collect this stuff. The oldest brochure I have is December 1992. The German/English fold-out of the prototype.

Then I have the tear-drop poster of the concept of a car that did not yet have a name.

The debate of did the 986 or 996 come first, or were they developed together, has always been a debate. The official Porsche Boxster book from 1996 says the 996 came first.

I have the Long book. What he says makes sense. Porsche got rid of the 968 and needed a new entry level car right a way, the Boxster. The 993 was still selling well, so the 996 could wait. So the Boxster got pushed out the door first.

I remember when the new Boxster was being sold next to the 993 in the US. That is why the 996 came to the US as a model year 1999. I even have a joint Boxster/993 brochure.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
'm thinking they and Porsche got it backwards.
This is the story I have heard over and over.

Porsche was afraid to **** off the 911 crowds with the water-cooled engine and diff front end to accommodate the radiators.

So they introduced the 986 to sort of test the market and realized it was successful!

Soon after the 986’were introduced, the 996’s were introduced with exactly the same parts from the door stills forward as 986 components, doors stills back were definitely 911.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as I too have read, they "claim" that the prototype pictured above (and I have that same poster) was not intended to actually be a car, but to show off Porsche design efforts - a mule of sorts. Seems like a lot of work to go through to just show off ideas. Either way, I'm glad. Though when I got that poster, the car's image in my mind was about 5/8s of the size of the final car. Probably too much 550 and Miata on the brain.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The brochure I have is Brititsh and has many iterior pictures without any text really. The boxster silver and red just like the poster and has a gree background with white printed words.

Well I'm pretty sure that if the concept was on paper 7 years before the 996 then I'm guessing that
they weren't sitting a 996 concept that far in advance.
Me thinks they were sooo impressed with the Boxster prototype and its futuristic theme that they stuck it into the 911. Not to mention it also saved allot of money.

Quick Reply: Boxster interior?