Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front trunk won't latch shut - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Bob Scullin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front trunk won't latch shut - any ideas?

I have an 02 Boxster, and just tonight, I opened the front trunk, but on closing it, it will not latch shut. I've tried many times, and the buton in side the car is not stuck. Any ideas how to get this latched? Is it safe to drive it with just the safety latch catching?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:47 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Check the plate at the front of the trunk to see if it has moved down a little. If it's like others I've seen, that plate can loosen a little and slip down so the latch on the hood cannot reach the spot on the plate that holds the hood down tight. Just a guess without looking at it, but hopefully it helps a little.

Btw, I wouldn't drive it around with just the safety latch. If it gets loose at speed, that's the end of the hood and anything behind it.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Bob Scullin
Cruisin'

Thanks John. I took the rubber boot off that goes across the front, sprung the latch with a screw driver, released it, and now it works! The mechanism wasn't loose, so I don't know what I did. I suspect that the rubber boot was not totally secure and it was keeping the hood up a little too high to engage the mechanism. The hood latched easier without the boot on, but now I've got it all working. Thanks for your help! -Bob

Quick Reply: Front trunk won't latch shut - any ideas?