Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most powerful boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 12:09 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I got it. You maybe want some kind of bragging contest. I'm out.

There are quite a few people who have supercharged their Boxsters, typically the earlier 2.5L engines, though. One person I read went NO2, but nothing radical. There isn't much room in the Boxster engine compartment, and things get trickier with the later Motronic engine mangagement for turbos, etc., unless you plan on doing something radical/not streetable. So then, most people who want more and reliable horsepower go with an engine swap. So, why is swapping not allowed? The most powerful Boxsters are likely to be those with engine swaps--at least those that plan on being reliable or trackable. I believe there are 1 or 2 GT3-engined Boxsters out there. You're not going to get that kind of power reliably from force-feeding a stock motor that is already up against octane/compression limits--unless the care will only run on 100 octane and sees little useage, but then again I feel again to see your point. There are also race-only Boxsters out there as well. Do those count?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:48 AM
jean_noir
Racer

"Race only boxsters" hhmmmm - i'm intrigued. Now we are getting somewhere. Since I cannot afford a 911 engine to stuff into a boxster what does the "race only boxsters" usually contain and what hp do they usually push? (we speeders just gotta know). what ya gotta understand is that hard core hp person only believe in dyno sheets and torque. suspension comes a close second. i.e. a corvette guy will never be happy in a miata no matter how much better it handled. (infact he would probably try to shoe-horn an LS1 inside of it). I think fishey is like myself - if the torque doesn't make you sh*t your pants than there must be an upgrade and we must find it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:54 AM
jean_noir
Racer

Fishey - I believe in truth most people dont buy boxsters for the raw horse power - but rather for pure driving enjoyment with a little more spunk and class than a miata or honda. I won't mention that new Lotus. - Therefore getting dyno sheets is not a big interest to them . (unlike us 944 turbo guys if you have no dynosheet you get beat down REAALLLLLY BAD, if you don't believe me jump over to the 944 turbo boards - it gets nasty) - keep in mind porsche already has a top speed car in the 911 so the boxster was not designed to fit in that spot

Last edited by jean_noir; 12-17-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Following jean_noir's comments, Boxsters are not known for brute force acceleration. They are known for their handling. Under many scenarios, a Boxster can hang with a higher-powered 911 because of the better handling. If you mod the suspension, the handling can become unbelievable especially on sticky tires. Boxster folks usually don't hang out much on Rennlist. The most popular (but largely frivolous) board is PPBB. You may also try asking your questions over on the Boxster Racing Board: http://www.iq.dynip.com/~racing/index.cgi There, too, you'll find engine swaps, though... Note that used 911 engines are not that expensive unless your talking the M64-derived (if I got the terminology right) TT and GT3 motors. The 911 engines are nearly identical to the Boxster engines, just turned around with the exhaust/intakes facing the wrong way. It's the tranny that makes the car go the right direction.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:52 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
My problem is, why make people think that you have something else than a Boxter? 99% of the people have no idea the Boxter actually has a number 986 assigned by the factory. The quote "People always tell me they never heard of a 986 but it looks like a Boxster and how does it compare with a 911. I just say will it is a bigger number." suggest exactly that.

You souldn't be ashamed to own a Boxter. I know I wouldn't be.
Sorry, but in my opinion you are wrong. Putting a 986 badge on a Boxster has absolutely nothing to do with putting a "Type R" badge on a Honda! The car is a 986 and that is the badge he put on!! IF, he put a Carrera badge or 996 badge that would be another story.

It may be true that not every Boxster owner knows His car is a 986 (I believe tha number that do is WAY higher than 1%). However, that ignorance in no way changes the fact that the car IS a 986.

After all there are even some ignorant people out their that think the car is called a "Boxter"
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 PM
jimster
Intermediate

A local has a '01 with 417 RWH. It was dyno'd at the viper shop one block over from Ruf in Dallas. It has NOS and some other trick parts, though I'm not exactly sure what.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 AM
jean_noir
Racer

417 is pretty tough to come by. I wouldn't mind checking the specs
Old 01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Jersey Dave
Intermediate

JP-St.Louis has his car over at IA for a Supercharger installation. With the original 3.2L, he is looking to approach 400hp.

I think that would be the most that I will have heard from. We'll have to hear about it after it comes out of the install.

Quick Reply: Most powerful boxster?