Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever skip scheduled maintenance service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
winzeke
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone ever skip scheduled maintenance service?

Guys... need some help here.

I just bought a '99 boxster with 60k miles on it and I realized that it is due for a major 60k miles maintenance service. The problem is I am a student and $800 for a service is a lot of money to me...( I know.... should't have bought a porsche in the first place).

I am just wondering.... would you guys go for the complete major maintenance service or have a shop do only some of the important stuffs like change oil, change belt... etc. Cause some of the stuffs in the maintenance are just visual inspections of this and that.... I was hoping to cut the cost into about half of it. Is it possible?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:07 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

I'd still do it if not immediately. Try to get a recommendation for a good independent shop that will do it for less.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:14 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car is not under warranty, which a 99 probably is not.

You can do the service yourself, just do a search on google "Do it yourself 30k service" Porsche and you will find articles published about this.

The main things is the oil, belt and maybe the spark plugs, all other stuff is mainly check points.

Which you could make a judegment call on if the part needs replaced.

This of course is if your mechanicaly inclined.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

..at 60 K, you should be looking into the oil separator too, as well as serpentine belt.

Both can be done in YOUR garage if you are even only a fair wrencher. In fact all of the 60K can be done by you..savings are big if you do it.If your're a car guy, learn to work on them..it ain't brain surgery.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:41 AM
winzeke
4th Gear

Ok... so I look up the things that are done in a maintenance service 30k miles and single out the ones that I think are important(RED FONT).
And plan to do the visual inspection on the fluid level myself (they shouldn't be too hard right?)

Do you guys think this will be good enough? Is there anything important that I miss?

Oh.. and also is polyrib belt the same as serpentine belt or drive belt?

Thanks guys.

Maintenance every 30,000 miles/48,000 km
Replace spark plugs
Air filter: Replace filter element
Change engine oil and oil filter

Major maintenance at every 30,000 miles/48,000 km
Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory
Polyrib belt: Check condition
Underside of vehicle and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and chafing (wires, lines, and hoses)
Coolant hoses: Check condition

Radiator: Visual inspection for external soiling
Coolant: Check level and antifreeze
Particle filter: Replace filter element
Fuel system: Visual inspection for damage, correct routing, and firm seating of the line connections
Power-assisted steering: Check fluid level
Parking brake: Check free play of the parking brake lever
Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for signs of wear
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, correct routing and corrosion
Brake fluid: Check level
Clutch: Check play or final position of pedal
Throttle actuation: Check smoothness of operation, full-throttle position with the tester
Steering gear: Visual inspection of the bellows for signs of damage
Tie rod ends: Check play and dust bellows
Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of the dust bellows for signs of damage, check tightness of screw connections on the suspension adjustment at the front and rear
Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and signs of damage
Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and signs of damage, check mounts
Tires and spare wheel: Check condition and tire pressure
Door locks, lid locks and safety hook of the front lid: Check to ensure that they are seated firmly and function properly
Safety belts: Check operation and condition
Vehicle lights: Check operation
All headlights: Check setting
Horn: Check operation
Windshield washer, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, make sure to check the antifreeze during winter months
All other electrical equipment as well as indicator and warning lights: Check operation
During road or dynamometer test:
Brake pedal and parking brake (also operating travel), engine, clutch, transmission, automatic speed control, steering system, heating, air-conditioning system, and instruments: Check operation
Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks

Additional maintenance every 60,000 miles/96,000 km
Replace Polyrib belt
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

..once again don't take the oil separator lightly, it can be the cause of some major engine problems..even though it is not listed as a mileage check item.

There is no consensus on when it should be replaced, but some think the 60-75k range is proper.

Symptoms are visual smoke (not the short burst on start up, but more prolonged) at that point hydro-lock can occur and is serious.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

DIY was $150 for the 60K maintenance. The only part that's a PITA is the fuel filter. Everything else is straight forward and pretty easy.

The oil separator is not difficult either. About 1 1/2 hours to do it from the top and $100 for the part.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

What do you look for to determine if the oil seperator should be replaced?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:43 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
What do you look for to determine if the oil seperator should be replaced?
The amount of smoke at start-up increases as the inner diaphram starts to tear. Another way is to pop off the tube that connects between the PCV and the oil separator and see if there's any oil in it. If so, the separator is going bad.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
winzeke
4th Gear

I know I'm not that much of a car guy, but you guys seem to know so much about these things. Is there a web site or published book out there that list the instructions to do this kind of maintenance service? I was hoping to do some of the easier ones by myself if it doesn't need so much tools.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:54 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

The new Bentley manual just came out I beleive. $67 at Amazon or something around that price.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:16 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winzeke
I know I'm not that much of a car guy, but you guys seem to know so much about these things. Is there a web site or published book out there that list the instructions to do this kind of maintenance service? I was hoping to do some of the easier ones by myself if it doesn't need so much tools.
The manual Blinkwatt mentioned and I have links to some of the service procedures on my website at http://www.theschillings.com
Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
fab
Track Day

the manual that blinkwatt is referring to is not yet release from AMAZON.COM. The cost is $62.97

Quick Reply: Anyone ever skip scheduled maintenance service?