Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on !!!!! Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
aman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light on !!!!! Help!!!!!!

The check engine light got switched ON on my 98 Boxster yesterday. I think the reason is that I did not turn the gas tank cap all the way to a click while after filling in the gas. Is there a way to reset the light or do I need to go to a dealer and pay the big bucks????

Help!!!!

Regards,
Aman
Old 12-07-2005, 09:37 PM
986_motion
AutoX

i hear this is common with the gas tank cap, how much is the dealer going to charge?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:16 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

If it's the gas cap, it should go off within 100 miles. There was a recall on the gas cap so you may want to check with the dealer and see if your MY is under the recall and/or was ever replaced.

For the codes, go to a local auto parts store like AutoZone (I know they have one). They have OBDII readers they can plug in and pull the codes and tell you what they mean. They can also clear the code so you can see if it comes back. Once you have the codes it's easier to help you figure out what it is so list them here and we'll give you some ideas. You may want to look into getting one for yourself to make things easier. You can get them on eBay for around $25.

FYI, if it's not the the gas cap, usually the CEL is caused by a dirty fuel system or bad sensor. A bottle of Techron is good for the fuel system and most sensors are easy to DIY. If you happen to use 87 octane, change to 91+ or it will cost you in sensors over time.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

will this reader work on a 97 model? My light came on a couple of days before my wife customized my fender with her bumper.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:46 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slider172
will this reader work on a 97 model? My light came on a couple of days before my wife customized my fender with her bumper.
Any OBDII reader will work on any car manufactured for sale in the U.S. from MY 1996 forward. The Boxster has a stubborn connector so you sometimes have to work it on to get it to read so don't get upset if you slip it on and it doesn't work the first time.

This can happen when you go for emmissions too so don't let the guy tell you his computer won't read it so he can't do your emmissions. They're afraid to push it on tight because their boss said they could break the connector. It's a pretty tough connector so tell him you'll snug it up and you can go about your business.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

My light just came on my 2000 S. The dealer said it was the mass air flow sensor - a $700 job. I don't know if they would have come to the same conclusion if it was not under warranty!

Quick Reply: Check engine light on !!!!! Help!!!!!!