Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Shifter-Tansmission cable (rod)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 PM
shalong
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Broken Shifter-Tansmission cable (rod)

From my garage, I couldn't shift my '01 boxster (manual) into reverse. Upon pushing it out into the driveway, the shifter would not go in a few more gears and eventually became completely sloppy.

Towed it to the dealership (as this is a Certified Pre-Owned car that I've had for about 6 months). Turns out that the cable - which looks more like a rod to me, has broken off right at the connection to the transmission. The new cable is about $300 and labor is running about $600.

My first question is what could have caused this? I'm not pulling a Dukes of Hazard with this car and haven't even taken it to the track yet.

Secondly, is this a project that I could take on myself--assuming I could get the replacement part. Anyone have any experience with this type of malfunction?

Also, I'm a bit peeved that the Certified Pre-owned Warantee did not cover this part. If they don't cover parts like this, what does it cover!!

Thanks for any info....
Shane
Old 11-08-2005, 06:52 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

I don't think it would be too difficult a job if you have stands and can get it up about 18"-26". The part is probably half what you were quoted at Sunset Porsche (if you don't live in Oregon or Washington State). You can go here http://www.sunsetporsche.com/porscheatcost.php and tell them what you need. They will get back to you usually the same day if they are still open. Btw, if you live in Oregon or Washington State, you're welcome ship it to our office and I'll ship it over to you so you can save some $$$.

I'll look on AllData and see if there's a procedure for replacement and let you know.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I looked up the procedure and it's not too difficult. You have to remove the firewall behind the seats (several 10mm bolts, very easy) and remove the center console. The cables run under the console, through the firewall, over the top of the engine then down the back where they attach to the transmission. AllData lists it as a 2.4 hour job so expect 4 hours if you've never removed the console and/or firewall cover. You may be able to do it from the top, but it would probably be much easier if you go in from underneath. There is one special tool they list that holds the shifter in neutral, but you can probably rig that on your own without the tool if you want to.

It's an expensive part because you have to replace the shift and selector cables together since they are permanently attached to each other. The part at Sunset will probably be around $150-$175. With the savings you may want to consider a short shifter since you'll have everything taken apart. I think Vertex Auto has them for $159 right now. It made a huge difference in my 928 and I can't wait to do it to the Boxster one day.

So what is actually broken? Is the cable snapped or did the ball that snaps onto the transmission break? It looks like that ball is plastic, but I only have a drawing, not a picture.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Welcome to the world of extended warrenty's where nothing is covered and now you have experienced that first hand too.
Extended warrenty's
Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

$600 labor??? This is a little over an hour job. Very easy to remove all items even the first time. So do they drive your car around for 5 hours after they fix it....
Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 AM
shalong
4th Gear

John, thanks so much for your insight! The cable is broken at the very end (right above the muffler) where the connection is made to the transmission. It is the metal connector piece that looks to have been torn loose.
I took the car to Performace Imoprts here in Atlanta and they quoted me several hundred less, so I think I'll have them put it in. My ramps could only raise the car about 10 inches.
Both places told me that this was not a common break, so I just can't help thinking that this was a faulty part.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:00 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Performance does good work. You'll be happy with them.

Quick Reply: Broken Shifter-Tansmission cable (rod)