Sponsored by:

De Snork Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De Snork Question

I've been debating back and forth on de snorking. I'd love some more sound from my 2000 S and am not willing to try any of the aftermarket resonating exhausts until Burst comes out with one. The instructions I've seen on de snorking seem rather harsh to the car with yanking it out the side vent. Is there a way to gain access to the engine side of the snork to loosen it, so it doesn't have to be yanked out - and maybe so it can be put back on again in the furture?

As a side note, I'm still not convinced de snorking is a good idea. I have to assume that Porsche did not add the part for no reason. Presumably those reasons include getting cooler intake air (that is, outside air being cooler than engine compartment air), and perhaps getting more air velocity - like a long velocity stack. So, I reserve the right to still not do it!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

I imagine if you're going to take it out without forcing it through the vent you'll have to,at least, take off the drivers side intake manifold. There's not much room in there to maneuver. Are you going to install an after market CIA?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Oh, I'm still willing to take it out the vent. It's the yank that I've heard about and the interference with some sensor. I presume that's because it is some how attached to the intake and that if one could get to the other side and loosen the snork, it would be more of a "pull out" than a "yank" out.

And, no I was not planning on a CIA immediately. I'm just looking to get more fun sound out of the car.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

I think it might be a little overkill to go through the engine compartment to just get the snorkel out. I took mine out 2 weeks ago and it really wasn't that bad.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Thanks. What's been your impression of the change in sound?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:27 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Be careful and make sure if you desnorkle it you have enough protection from water getting into the new opening.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Duffs4
Instructor

I went with a Evo CIA at the same time and the sound is stock with a bit more umph, especially at lower rpms.

Quick Reply: De Snork Question