Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S restoration begins!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005 | 03:06 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Default Boxster S restoration begins!

I don't know if you guys remember me mentioning or not, but our Boxster S we recently bought for my wife was damaged in transit via Matson Navigation. Some yahoo was kind enough to spray the entire car in hot sparks, completely ruining the entire paint job, headlights, tail lights, rubber, etc... We received a check in the mail yesterday from Matson so we finally get to get it done.

I'm in a small town with few body/paint shops and all but one told me they will not do the work as they only do "collision repair". I did manage to talk one of them into writing me a bid anyway as I needed two bids to turn in my claim.

The shop that is going to do the work specializes in show cars, restorations, etc. and the work they do is just incredible. Of course they were quite a bit higher and I'm ultimately going to have to cough up a couple of grand.

The car is triple black, but since we are going to be painting everything (including the hard top & Boxster humps) we have decided to change the color from regular black to Basalt Black Metallic. I have purchased a GT3 front bumper with lower lip as well as GT3 sideskirts and a Boxster GT3 rear wing for the car to complete it. I figured I might as well since we are going to have to paint everything anyway.

I am donating my litronic headlights from my 996 to the Boxster and am going to be doing a front end conversion to turbo on my car. At least this is how I sold the idea to my wife, hehe. "But honey, ultimately I'm saving money!"

I'll post pics before and after the restoration.
Old 10-23-2005 | 12:30 AM
24FPS
Drifting

look forward to seein' it steveo.... i had a (3xblk) '00 a few years back & loved it (almost as much as the 993).................. also basalt is gorgeous. bol in the renew.
look forward to seein' your posts.
Old 10-23-2005 | 07:51 AM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Here are some pics of the day we went to pick it up at the dock (to our horror). Check out the granules of tiny chunks of rusty metal that washed down into the water channels of front and rear trunk. Most of the metal chunks were lodged into the paint and you can see all the white dots from the paint being literally burned.
Attached Images      
Old 10-23-2005 | 07:58 AM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Here is what it looked like before the long trip to Hawaii...
Attached Images     
Old 10-23-2005 | 08:39 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sad. Wife does not look happy. Is the shop going to disassemble all the panels? Be sure they know what they are doing with this Porsche. A great paint job is one thing, but a complete and thorough job is another. Best of luck. Did you say $2000? Sounds VERY low for that kind of work.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-23-2005 | 03:04 PM
Ben B
Instructor

I just saw this Boxster/Carrera GT on ebay & thought it really looked nice. I'd love to see it in person, since sometimes photos look better than reality!

http://www.kitcar.cc/ (Check out the "Boxster GT" link)

Has anybody done this or thought about doing it?
Old 10-23-2005 | 03:37 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

No, not $2000. I got bids of $10k and $17k. I can negotiate the higher number down to maybe 12k or so, ultimately costing me a couple of grand more than the lowest bid. For example, I'm supplying the headlights and taillights - his prices were very high on these and I've already got them.

And to answer you question, yes, the entire car (body wise) gets disassembled. It is an incredible amount of work to repaint this thing right, but that is this guy's specialty. He had several high-end cars mid-restoration in his shop when I visited and the few completed ones I saw were perfect looking. Of course there were no Porsches.

Quick Reply: Boxster S restoration begins!