Sponsored by:

Convertible Top -some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Bob Scullin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top -some questions

The convertible top on my 02 Boxster has some fabric chafing in a few spots. Does anyone know what causes this? Also, I have a squeak (with top up or down)which sounds like it is coming from the top mechanism. The squeak is only on the drivers side. I this something I can easily fix? Thanks for any help.
-Bob
Old 10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

The chafing is caused by the sides of the creased areas rubbing when the top is down. Nothing you can do about it once it happens. One thing you can do to try and guard against it is to use a good cloth top cleaner & protectant every 6 months. Renovo makes a good one and I believe Porsche approves Raggtop.

The squeak can be remedied by putting two types of greases in different areas.

You can put white lithium grease on all of the metal joints. Use a Q-tip to push the grease into the joints and the squeak will work out after a few times up and down if it's a metal joint.

You can also put some plumber's grease (found at Home Depot or Lowe's) on where the plastic and rubber parts meet being careful not to get any on the cloth. It has to be plumber's grease because that's the only type that's safe for plastic and rubber. This also takes care of the cracking sound you can get when the A/C is on and the top is up.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Bob Scullin
Cruisin'

Thanks john. That is great information. I appreciate it!
-Bob
Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Bob Scullin
Cruisin'

Default How to get to the joints on the top

allright...this is probably a real dumb question, but how do I get to the joints? Is there an easy way to take the inner liner of the top out?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Before you get carried away, try putting the visors down and see if your noise goes away.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Open the top to the position for accessing the engine bay. It's detailed in the owner's manual. Then all of the joints are opened.

You only need to put the plumber's grease between the plastic joints on the edge of the top. For the metal joints, you'll have to pop the connectors in the back as if you were going to open the engine bay. Once you do that and fold the back window up, the joints are visible. Also put some white lithium on the track that the clam shell slides on.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top -some questions