http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1276806.html

And if you want one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-Mountain...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-01-2005, 01:53 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do my best to flash, and if I miss the flash I wave, either just lifting the hand off the wheel a little or sticking it out the side window.

I do seem to get a lot of waves from 928 owners though.... oh no wait those are point-by's, forget I mentioned that.

Interesting that this subject came up again. I have a funny story about a flash that happened a while ago. I've told a couple non-Porsche friends about the flash/wave (Mostly because they noticed I did it and asked what the heck I was doing). So one day I have one of these friends riding with me and a red 911 flashes me. I was off in la-la land and didn't react. So my friend asked me why I didn't flash. I quickly snapped out of la-la land and said "Oh crap, I didn't, did I? Son-of-a..." For the next 15 minutes, or longer I debated with myself and my buddy if I should flip a u-turn and chase the guy/gal down just so I could flash them back. Flashing and return flashing happen so rarely around here that I felt bad about not rewarding a flash with a return, ESPECIALLY since I know better . You may not find that story very entertaining, but I do, and my buddy does, as he harasses me about it to this day.

Interesting debate about "true" Porsche's. I sometimes think we all forget that Porsche was, and still is, an engineering company. It just so happens that they also build sports and race cars, and that is what made them famous. Heck, I believe the motor in the Harley-Davidson VROD is Porsche, isn't it?

I haven't studied the details of the VW/Porsche SUV. But the story I heard is that it was a joint venture. I.e. resources from both companies came together to make it happen. So both trucks are VW and they are both Porsche.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Hey, I had a red Carrera GT flash at me FIRST! on Kanan on the way to Malibu one day in my Boxster S. I of course flashed back. And to make it WAAYYY cooler, when the car got up to me, I saw it was Jay Leno! Now how cool is that?

Of course, I'm never quite sure if I should flash on that canyon road, since flashing also tends to be a warning that a police officer is hiding down the road.

It's all about attitude and why someone has the car. Heck, I was in my pictured Viper Green 911 and was driving next to a '71 Viper Green 911. I honked, and waived. The guy looked over and then looked back to the road. I mean, what's with that? How many Viper Green '70s 911s are you going to drive along side of? It was almost as though he was embarrassed to have someone realize he was in that car.

There was also a comment above about Ferrari not having the help of other companies. Seems a small company called FIAT has had something to do with Ferrari's continued existence. Though, I don't suspect they share any parts.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wave whenever I see another porsche, but there are very few around where I live. I pretty much know the other driver.
Mike
Old 11-10-2005, 04:04 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Got my first response from a Boxster on the mainline. WOAH...usually they are a snooty bunch. THis guy just bought his so he was excited enough to actually wave back!

Melissa
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Drvn2fst
Track Day

I'm a brand new Boxster owner but my previous car was a Jeep wrangler so I am all to familiar with waving. My friends in the car with me usually look at me like I'm crazy for waving. I just tell them it's a Porsche thing. LOL
Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

I currently drive an 88 944 na. I get flashed by totally bug**** 911's and most other Porsches, except Boxsters. I've always figured that many (not all, certainly) Boxsters were bought by folks who wanted a "cool" car and had some disposable income. They neither know nor care about other P-cars.

All that said, I am seriously considering buying a 2000 vintage Boxster as my next car. They seem great at DEs, and some knowledgable enthusiasts speak and write very well re them.

Let's see the options:
ca. 1990 C2
Late 80's 3.2 911
Boxster
Currently hemming and hawing, leaning toward the Boxster, but that's just today!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:52 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

A owner of a 993 told me to sell my girlie boxster and to buy a 911,too bad a Boxster handles better then a 993 and isnt too much slower.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

911's are such a crap shoot as to whether they wave/flash back. Had one this morning ignore me like I wasn't there..and no he didn't miss me.

B@St@rd!

Melissa

Quick Reply: I'm curious about something.