Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any colors make a boxster harder to resell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
texrad
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any colors make a boxster harder to resell?

I am looking at used boxsters and was wondering if there were certain colors that mke them harder to resell. I was told that boxsters are color-sensitive in that certain colors are much harder to resell and may even go for less money?

But which colors are popular and unpopular?

I like silver/gray best. But am having trouble finding one at the price/condition I want.

So what about black, red, burgundy? I suspect yellow is hate it or love it and so chancey to get? White, blue and green seem kinda boring?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:27 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I watched a dealer try to sell one on Ebay with bright green interior for months. He cheated the Ebay system more than once by bidding on it himself with alternate IDs. he could never get a legitimate bid over 16k for a 2001 with low miles, hardtop, very well equipped and black exterior. But that interior was uuugly. The green exterior cars look OK IMO, and I haven't seen a Boxster with exterior color that really looks bad to the majority. No one wanted that green interior though. He was in Texas somewhere as I recall. He probably still has it. I offerred him a really low price (16) for it as I intended to change the interior color completely, but he wasn't interested. He has more than onEBAY ID, both have a lot of feedback, one is perfect, one not quite so perfect. I will try to find the guys name in some old emails if you're interested.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd be interested in the hardtop. Lemme know if you find his info. Do you happen to remember what he was bidding it up to?

texrad: I would think that if you pick a standard color you should be able to get a decent price for the car. I can't think of a color that looks absolutely horrible on the car... well except that seafoam green or aqua blue or whatever it is... Unless you fall madly in love with it I would stay away from custom color schemes like smshirk is describing.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I am looking for a local 2000/2001/2002 Boxster, prefer Lapis/grey, grey top, but black top is ok. Cannot seem to find one. In SoCal, there is a boat load of Silver and Black Boxsters, which is the least preferred colors, for us. FWIW
Old 08-24-2005, 03:20 PM
deanp
8th Gear

We searched for nearly three months before finding a blue '00 Boxster that met our requirements.

Priority set by my wife was:
1. Zenith Blue
2. Lapis Blue
3. Midnight Blue

We ended up with a Lapis blue with black top, black interior. I gradually expanded my search from local, to east coast to nationwide and searched all the online advertisers I could.

I found silver and black to be the predominant colors on the market followed by red, then blue then others.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

deanp I have a Zenith Blue boxster that took me months to find. It receives plenty of compliments but I am not too happy of how purpleish color sticks out more then the blueish portion during the night. During the day I could not be more happy.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Speed yellow adds to the price on the websites like kbb.com and edmunds.com. We looked for 3-4 months before finally getting one. It was difficult to find (that was 2003) one for sale so we snatched the second one we found.

There were plenty of black and guards red with tan or black interiors to be found. That seems to be the most popular combos.

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
tqtran
Intermediate

Yeah, stay away from Seafoam Green(blue green color)
Old 11-15-2005, 08:52 AM
jamscal
5th Gear

I like the speed yellow, but I guess it doesn't fit my personality. I passed on a yellow '01 S and found one in Orient Red. It gets a lot of compliments, but isn't as 'out there' as Yellow or a brighter red.

-James
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Rust is the only one that doesn't look good on a Boxster.

Quick Reply: Any colors make a boxster harder to resell?