Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Boxster S owners who also have an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:30 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boxster S or STi purchase--Decision made with pics

I'm seriously looking to get a new car in a week or two. I'm on the fence between a new STi or a used Boxster S in the mid 30's range. I've driven both ('02 S & '05 Sti) and I really liked them both, but for different reasons. This would be my daily driver and I don't have any kids. I think I finally convinced my wife that it wouldn't be that crazy to have 3 Porsches if I so choose. I currently have my 951 for weekend fun runs and my 911 SC for a restoration car. I ran across a guy with an Sti and a Lotus Elise and he had some fun insights on the two cars. Is there anyone out there who owns an Sti & a Boxster S who might be able to give me some insite?
- Thanks Rob

Last edited by gmsracing; 07-20-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 06-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't own an STi, but did own one of the first US WRXs when they came out. No complaints. But I eventually sold it because I wanted more of a "grown up" car. I got a little tired of all the ricers trying to impress me. So I traded it for my second Boxster. Would have loved to have an "S".

Still, nothing wrong with the Subie and the STi would have impressive performance. Even w/o kids, you may find yourself wanting a four person carrier once in a while. I would just rip off the wing and all the badges.

Ever consider a Legacy GT?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has a WRX....one step down from an STI. I can tell you about how it performs, how it feels to ride in it, and about the stupid happy grin my husband gets on his face when he even looks at it let alone drives it....and that's just a WRX. That all would increase with an STI...which he plans to be his next purchase after he drives the stuffing outta the WRX first.

What you can definitely expect is a much less luxurious inside and driving feel. The car is a subcompact and not a luxury car. It is however a performance car. The WRX and of course the STI have seriously stiff suspensions....I love it...but you might not. It sometimes feels like you are driving in a cart rather than a car. Not suprising since it is modeled after Subie's rally car and racing heritage! Also, to spare on weight (somewhat in the WRX and especially so in the STI) a lot of the amenities you have grown to love aren't there or are there in their barest forms. A lot less insulation, amenities, etc. Asian cars for the most part already are more economic/no frills feeling to begin with compared to more luxury models, but especially so in a WRX/STI. Also, forget a radio and power doors/windows on an STI (I could be wrong but I think I heard my husband mention this)...removed for weight so the car will go faster. And STI is only stick (no manual....but you wouldn't be getting that anyway would you!!!!!). WRX is FANTASTIC on gas mileage. You'd lose some MPG in an STI.

A WRX is a blast to drive so I am guessing an STI would be mind blowing. After I had decided to get rid of my Subie Baja in favor of a 97/98 Boxster (don't have it yet), I drove my husband's WRX for the day. I was never so convinced that I made the right choice...because driving a Baja is liek driving a brick, driving a WRX is just FUN! So hopefully that can give yopu some insight. But basically I'll give you the same advice we give on my quilting newsgroup (No I am not a granny) when people ask what sewing machine to buy....test drive them both!

If you want performance and amenities (read better for a family car)...go for the Turbo-Charged Legacy GT. Amazingly that vehicle has performance numbers comparable to a WRX!

Melissa in NJ
Old 06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Thanks for the replies. Actually one of the things I like about the STi is that it doesn't come with some of the things that are typically found as standard equip in cars. It does not half sunroof. It does not come with leather. It barely has carpet in the trunk. Leather gets too hot and you slide around during spirited driving. I like the approach that you take away some of the creature comforts in exchange for such things as forged BBS wheels, huge Brembos, driver controlled center diff, water spray on the intercooler, & stuff like that. It kind of reminds me of an RS type Porsche. The type they don't seem to build anymore for the US.

When I drove both cars, the accelleration of the STi was incredible. The handling felt a little weird but coming from my GTi it felt better. Didn't feel as surefooted as it should have been mid corner during a throttle lift. Stiff ride doesn't bother me. It actually felt softer than my VR6 which has full racing coilovers on it. (VERY stiff)

The 986s definately felt like a sports car. It wasn't as fast but it wasn't slow either! It felt like it had better handling dynamics. Interior ergonomics were dissapointing actually. Steering wheel and gear shifter felt odd. I don't particularly want a convertible, but the car is compelling enough as it stands. My wife won't let me buy the Caymen!

I guess it boils down to a sports car feel that is watered down a bit for the street (986S) or a back road racer that is almost ready to go to the track (STi). The Sti also benefits from having a full warrenty

At this point I'm leaning towards the STi.

Thanks! Rob
Old 06-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmsracing
The Sti also benefits from having a full warrenty
As someone who recently paid for a blown motor out of warranty, this is a VERY big benefit. And largely the reason I'm now back to my two car approach. (..Subie and old 911)
Old 06-15-2005, 03:42 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't want a convertible? Ever think about a 911? Speed is similar to the Sti (my 993 is marginally slower), yet includes the elusive Porsche quality, feel and character lacking in the Subie. In this price range you could get a 993 or 996.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:10 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is curious to hear Legacy GT and WRXs in the same sentence, especially in a Porsche forum. I found the Legacy GT to be a very sloppy handler, can’t hold a candle to the WRX and STi in this department. They have to do something to sport up the GT suspension in my opinion. It needs stiffer struts, springs and probably more aggressive wheel settings. With regard to handling, I like the Outback XT better even though it has a higher ride height.

BTW, as an example of how benign the Legacy wheel settings are, I now have 75K miles on my Outback’s original Potenzas.

I think they're selling radios now with the STi.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I threw out the Legacy GT as an option in case he wanted something with a little bit more luxury than the WRX/STi. Obviously by his response he doesn't. I, on the other hand, got spoiled with luxury when I drove the Cayenne loaner car the dealership gave me while my Boxster was getting the motor replaced. So when I decided to go back to the two car set-up, I chose the more luxurious option in the Legacy. Even w/o being a GT model (I bought the base model so I could spend more money on Porsches!) I'm not a bit sorry. I love the car. Our frequent 300 mile trips to Niles, MI are now wonderfully easy and absolutely comfortable. And, while soft, I don't mind the handling at all. (It's a big car, and handles like one, but the grip is excellent.)

Now, if I didn't have a Porsche to compliment it, I'm sure my thoughts would be different. But Rob has two, so it's not unrealistic to suggest a more luxurious, "easy car" balance with them.

Ah...I'm just turning into an old fart...
Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 AM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelissaInNJ
Also, forget a radio and power doors/windows on an STI (I could be wrong but I think I heard my husband mention this)...removed for weight so the car will go faster.
I asked my husband to read over my post to make sure it was factually sound. He said starting with the 05 models they have radios now. Also, he said they have power doors/windows...so not sure where I got that from.

Melissa in NJ
Old 06-15-2005, 12:17 PM
gmsracing
Pro

It's true the '05's have radios and power equipment. I thought about a 993 or a 996, but I really didn't see anything in my price range that I liked. Those cars typically would have higher mileage and therefore more potential maintenance issues with them. The 996s definately seem to be loosing their value quickly though.

The Legacy is too cushy for my tastes; although it looks like a nice car. I actually like the styling more comparred to the Impreza line.

Thanks for the input!
Rob
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

If you want some serious STI input go hang out at these two links...both operate just like Rennlist. My husband reads the boards religiously. Just like here you can get every question asked answered!

http://www.nasioc.com/
http://www.clubwrx.net/

Melissa
Old 06-15-2005, 02:26 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Thanks! I've also been on imprezawrxsti.com
Old 06-15-2005, 04:56 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Seems like the Boxster/S is looked down upon on those sites. Different strokes for different folks...
Old 06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think when people get in a car with similar (or even better) performance for far less money, they like to puff their chests and "bragg" about how smart they are. Easiest way to do that is to further put down those of "higher" status. I admit to feeling similar when comparing any of the better performing Subies to, say, a BMW. I'd never pay the money for a BMW when a good Subie will do me just fine. But at least I respect BMWs for what they are and appreciate what they offer.

...even if 4 out of 5 of the BMW owners I know personally are complete snobs...

See!?! There I go again!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I think when people get in a car with similar (or even better) performance for far less money, they like to puff their chests and "bragg" about how smart they are. Easiest way to do that is to further put down those of "higher" status. I admit to feeling similar when comparing any of the better performing Subies to, say, a BMW. I'd never pay the money for a BMW when a good Subie will do me just fine. But at least I respect BMWs for what they are and appreciate what they offer.

...even if 4 out of 5 of the BMW owners I know personally are complete snobs...

See!?! There I go again!!!
That sounds pretty accurate and true in certain cases, but the Boxster/S is trashed in every post I read on that site. I know the Subie is a hellava car and I wouldn't mind owing one, but not to replace my Boxster S. Some don't realize what the Boxster S brings to the table...unbelievable handling, feel, good power (it so balanced) and looks beautiful. I just can't get over the looks of a Subie for my primary fun car.

Quick Reply: Any Boxster S owners who also have an STi?