Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Boxster S owners who also have an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:06 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Doug…

I didn’t mean to insult your car. In all fairness the Legacy GT got pretty good reviews in the handling department, but I had to disagree with them. I am quite fond of the Subies especially in the bang-for-buck category but I think they can get a lot more out of the Legacy line in the manner of sport. I’d like to see a sport package option in addition to the muscle they put into them. Seems only natural.

I love the loyal-dog quality of the Legacy and Forester platforms but when they started putting in the sub-6 second turbos I thought they would do something to the suspensions. Nada. Actually it’s the Forester XT that is really sloppy and mismatched to the engine. The power surges are great but you can get into trouble if you try to associate this with handling. That thing just unravels on turns.

Now that they have a $33K alternative to the M3 with the STi I was hoping for the $30K Legacy alternative to the S4 wagon. Man, that would be nice to have a low-priced decent-sized AWD utility wagon that doubles as sports car. I mean, the world is bereft of sport wagons. But it seems they are more concerned with luxury and trying to satisfy this universal thirst for power. Power means nothing to me if it can’t dance.

I see you mentioned Cayenne. I got a Cayenne S loaner once and didn’t care for it mostly because I’m not an SUVer. Ever drive the X3? IMO that’s the SUV that handles closest to a sedan.

Melissa…

The first STi in 04 was actually a club sport so you weren’t too far off.

Everyone…

Actually I find BMW owners to be more objective than most and more willing to criticize their own brand. The Subieheads are wa-a-a-a-y up there in brand worship. When the Forester XT came out some of them were talking like it was the next Ferrari. Oh yeah, it handles like a BMW they said, comparing it to the X3 and FX. I was psyched because I thought it could replace my Outback. What is it, a 5.3 0-60 vs the Outback’s 11 secs? Then I finally drove it (almost lost it on the first corner) and realized that many of the people in those forums need an exorcist.

Doug again…

I find BMW to be much like Porsche in several areas. The number one reason you come to both is for handling and steering. Since BMW is about more utility, I could see it not being worth it to many. However, there are those who, just like Porsche owners, savor the ride on rails, the impeccable drivetrain and are willing to pay the premium. I see my 530 as a Porsche sedan. My biggest problem with BMW now is that they are out of their minds with styling.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know two folks at work that have and love them. I have not driven one, i just dent like the look. I can tell you this for a fact. At 145mph the STI will pull away from you like you just ran out of gas. I gave the guy a thumbs up as he pulled away from me. Very open and clear road. To be on par with that performance your not looking at a Boxster S.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Actually, there was this one track rat who posted in a forum and said he sold his M3 for an STi. He made quite a convincing case for his decision.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by designman
Hi Doug…

I didn’t mean to insult your car....
Non taken. I just wanted to offer up an option to Rob. I understand that the Legacy line and the Impreza line are different machines with different purposes...and I chose the softer one. (getting old I guess)

That's too bad about the Legacy GT in terms of handling. I actually didn't drive one on purpose because I'd made up my mind that the "base" model is all I could afford (if I wanted to continue to own Porsches) and I was afraid I'd be too addicted to the power over the base model.

FYI I did like the Cayenne for a lot of reasons...I think it's a fantastic machine. But I'm not and SUV guy either and there's no way I could consciously own an a daily driver that gets 15mpg.

I've never driven the X5. I don't mean to be so critical of BMWs, because I KNOW they're fantastic machines. It's just my personal experience with the owners of late that have put me off. Of course, now my brother's wife has one, so that ratio will be changing a little for the better. Even so, I just have no desire to even look at them for potential purchase. I can be stubborn that way.

Did we hijack this thread? Sorry!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Man, I loved driving the WRX. I havn't driven an STI but I can imagine it's a trip. I almost bought a WRX several years ago. The only thing that stopped me is that it felt a little "tinny" to me, just that little bit too much econo-car-ish. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not "dis'n" it...it was a kick, just not for me for everyday.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:59 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

"It is curious to hear Legacy GT and WRXs in the same sentence, especially in a Porsche forum. I found the Legacy GT to be a very sloppy handler, can’t hold a candle to the WRX and STi in this department. They have to do something to sport up the GT suspension in my opinion. It needs stiffer struts, springs and probably more aggressive wheel settings. "

and

" I am quite fond of the Subies especially in the bang-for-buck category but I think they can get a lot more out of the Legacy line in the manner of sport. I’d like to see a sport package option in addition to the muscle they put into them. Seems only natural. "

My husband actually came on over to Rennlist to follow this post. He said that this version of the legacy does exist...they just never market it in the US. As with several Subies..the really "cool" ones don't make it either out of Japan, or make it out of Japan but never make it to our market.

Lazy Americans!

Any decision made on this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Melissa
Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, thanks for all of the responses everyone. I finally did decide to get the STi. It arrived last Friday and I really like it. It's a monster off of the line, but it doesn't pull like my 951 does at higher rpms and higher speeds. The handling is a little different with the AWD and it will take some adjustment to get used to it. All and all I think it will be a great daily driver. Here are a couple of pics. The picture of the wheel is from the rear. Notice the "forged" note on the BBS!

Last edited by gmsracing; 03-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweet machine. Now rip off the logos and the wing and go "stealth"!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 PM
gmsracing
Pro

I think I'm definately going to take off all of the pink STi stickers. Pink isn't really my thing anyway. As for the wing, I actually like it. I've seen pictures of Stis w/o them and they don't look balanced styling wise. It certainly does attract more attention though! With my old VR6 GTi I took off the VR6 and GTi emblems. My friend and I were in a parking lot once walking up to the car and some people were looking at my car. One guy said to his friend, "Did you know that you can get a 6-cylinder in these Golfs?" I was also at Sears Point one day for a DE and I was running with a 993 cab and eventually passed him coming into turn 11. He came over to the car in the pits after the run and when he looked under the hood he said, "Ah, you've got the VR6 in there!" I do like running stealth!
-Rob
Old 07-20-2005, 12:41 PM
gmsracing
Pro

I tried to update the title of the post to reflect the fact that there is an update but I couldn't do it!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought STIs all had the ugly gold rims.

No?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:04 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Yes, many do! The silver wheel color seems to be more rare. They couldn't find a black one w/ silver wheels in Oregon, Wash, Idaho, or Nor Cal. I had to ship the car up from Van Nuys, So Cal! They day I bought mine, they sold a blue one w/ the gold wheels at the dealership. Not my cup of tea. The blue one with silver wheels looks nice and they had one coming in a couple of weeks, but I thought the ralley blue would be a little too trendy and possibly pase in 5- 7 years.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the STIs are certainly very fast in a straight line.

I've had a few STIs beat my modded 928S V-8 powered Porsche in your typical 0-100 light to light run.

Of course the nitrous system is on order...so i doubt that will ever happen again.

LOL.

Good luck with it bro!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

I have an Autocrossing buddy who owns several cars. He has two S2000's one for the track, one for Autocross, He had an STI and now has an EVO. He's a very good and precise driver. He says the EVO is hands down the better car in his opinion. Although I've heard more than a few complaints about engine reliabitily. Seems the STI is better in that dep't.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmsracing
I think I'm definately going to take off all of the pink STi stickers. Pink isn't really my thing anyway. As for the wing, I actually like it. I've seen pictures of Stis w/o them and they don't look balanced styling wise....I do like running stealth!
-Rob
Good point about the wing...especially with that honkin' intake on the hood. I'm just a fan of stealth. Even when I had my "base" WRX (w/o wings), I felt like I got a lot of (unwanted) attention from the fast & furious crowd. Part of the reason I sold it. Probably dumb...

Quick Reply: Any Boxster S owners who also have an STi?