Sponsored by:

Cat Back Exhaust!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:08 AM
zschu97
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat Back Exhaust!!!!

So I put “cat back” pipes on my 986. I must say that I sounds MEAN!!!!!! I was very skeptical about the note that the Boxster’s engine would produce with such an aggressive setup but I was pleasantly surprised! If you can handle the noise I would definitely suggest it. I don’t have any sound clips yet but I hope to soon.

Also, can anyone suggest a path on lowering the car? There are many options out there.

Last edited by zschu97; 05-24-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:05 PM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For lowering, I think the main options are H&R springs or coilovers, Eibach springs or coilovers, Bilstein PSS9s, or Porsche ROW 030. The H&R or Eibach spring approach should be least expensive -- I think a lot less than the others. You should get about 1-inch with H&R or Eibach; less with ROW 030; and the PSS9s allow you to adjust height and performance. I've heard the coilovers (including PSS9s) can be pretty harsh ride-wise.

I have H&R springs and like them. They seem to handle well and the ride is still pretty good.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 PM
gwhand
AutoX

By cat back to you mean bypass pipes?
If so, has there been a performance gain?
Please tell me it does not sound like a civic with a fart pipe.

I am very intrested in doing this also.
Gary
Old 05-25-2005, 07:27 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

By cat back to you mean bypass pipes?
If so, has there been a performance gain?
Please tell me it does not sound like a civic with a fart pipe.
I really don't think a Porsche could ever produce such a sound, cause it has a sweet flat six producing all the noise. I know mine is far from a Civic sound, not even close.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:09 PM
zschu97
Track Day

It sounds like a freakin race car! Its almost too loud. And no it does not have the homosexual sound of a civic. I was surprised how much it resembled the 911 with the same setup. At high RPM it is fantastic. I hope to have a mpeg coming soon.

As far as performance.....there is roughly a 40 lb weight reduction with maybe a few horses eaked out of it but i have yet to get it on a dyno. So to answer your question I can feel a difference in throttle response with no passengers.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 PM
alan t
Instructor

I've been really curious too as to what a boxster would sound like with no cat(that is what you mean, right). If it sounds as great as you say it does, I'd be VERY interested to do the same to my own boxster! Can you give more details like where you got the pipes and what to do about the ECU noticing the fact that there's no cat? I don't want any more 'check engine' lights.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

catback pipes = straight pipes replace the mufflers
bypass pipes = straight pipes replace the cats

not sure if zschu97 really has catback pipes, or if he has just confused the terms.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:49 AM
zschu97
Track Day

i have cat back pipes....which means the converters are still on the car so you will not have a problem with the check engine light. A friend of mine fabricated the system, he does some work for some local race groups.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Civic homosexual sound? Good grief -- I am as opposed to the coffee cans and other poser stuff tacked onto these cars. But, the sound of a Civic is not far from the sound of a four cylinder Cosworth.

Quick Reply: Cat Back Exhaust!!!!