Sponsored by:

Advice on buying an early Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM
85percent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk

Based on my experience, I would recommend buying a used older Boxster. I was admittedly nervous when I bought it, but for the price, I figured it if the engine fell out on the ground, I could do the 3.4 conversion and still not be in too bad of shape.

if spending $14,000 on a 3.4 conversion doesnt put you in bad shape, then you must have a money tree in your backyard..
Old 05-29-2005, 05:25 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I suppose it is just a perspective. I would then have a Boxster that out performs my 996 for under 30k. The body, interior, etc is in great shape. So far though, not a drop of oil in the garage, more fun to drive than just about any Porsche I've had. I would much rather have it than anything else I can think of for the $. I used to to look at Boxsters as chick cars, until I bought one. A nice 911SC with 200HP would be in the same price range and while I dearly loved those cars, even an early Boxster would leave it in the dust, and the AC works...................
Old 05-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm the old fart. In 1999 I bought a January 1997. Paid almost as much for a 2 year old car as it cost new, and I was lucky someone did not beat me to it. The market back then was very, very much different then it is now. The 2.7 and 3.2 did not exist when I started.

The sleeve issue was comming to a head in 1999 when we were trying to guess the window period. 1997 motors were not sleeved.

The Boxster is my only car so I drive it every day. I only have 53,000 miles because my work commute is only 14 miles.

Over the years I have had the usual problems that can happen with any car. The seat belt fix, ignition switch, faulty DME. These were recall and/or emission warranty stuff and/or goodwill. It was in the shop 3 times for this. I have done all the service work and if something breaks then I fix it.

My top has the typical problem with the cables and the windows drop 1/3rd when I go over a bump, but I know how to fix it.

I hope this message does not bring me bad luck.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about the seat belt fix. My airbag light came on after I removed the passenger seat and I can't clear it with my code reader, although I haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet. I did move it in and out of the gargae a couple of times with the seat out of it. I probably did something wrong or didn't do something I should have, but I can't figure out what I've done.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you power up the car and something in the air bag system is disconnected the light will go on. It can be the connector for the steering wheel air bag, the connector to the seat, and so on. The system thinks there is a fault when something is disconnected and the key is turned on.

When we remove the seat for some work and need to turn the key on we do not disconnect the connector at the bottom of the seat. We put the seat on the side of the car because the harness is long enough. Then we can turn the key on without the air bag light.

A code reader is for emission faults. You cannot clear it because it is an air bag fault. Disconnecting the battery will not clear an air bag fault.

To turn off the air bag light you need someone with a PST2/PIWIS. You cannot do this yourself unless you remove the bulb.

The seat belt fix I mentioned should really be the air bag fix. It has nothing to do with your situation
Old 05-29-2005, 06:46 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info. I should have figured. I suppose I can live with it until I have to take it to a shop for something. I dyed the seat. I coud have done it in the car, but it was much easier to spray by taking it out and not worry about getting the dye all over the car. The seat looks really good now BTW. I got a much better match than I figured with Boxster red.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:29 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First piece of advice is take what "85 percent" says with a "grain of salt". He is very new to the board and has little experience with the Boxster outside of the problems he has had with his car. In fact the majority of his 70+ posts are nothing but negative. Honestly, if it were me and I hated any car that much I'd sell it and move on......but I digress.

If you buy a 2.5 I'd get a '97 or a '99. There was a problem with the sleeves on some '98's. Out side of that issue the only problem these cars have is Rear Main Seal leaks. No one (but Porsche) knows for sure how many cars are affected but I would guess (based on posts to this and other boards) that it is around 10% (this is just a guess on my part, othere would claim both higher and lower I'm sure). It in the majority of cases the sleeve can be replaced with an updated version for a fix. A very small percentage are out of round and need engine replacements. From what I have seen on this board and others most RMS problem occur early or never (w/in the first 25,000 miles).

I'd advise you purchase the latest model you can afford. There were some great updates to the car in 2000 (motor and interior).

FWIW, my 2000 has been bulletproof. I have not had a single problem with the car. It has been the most reliable and trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

Good luck with your search!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Not so on the sleeves...those cars were '99s produced in the 9/98 to 5/99 time period. '98s were NOT involved with sleeve issue. '98 was a short year, as Porsche was delivering '99 cars in July of '98...I know my son has one of those cars.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:37 AM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray S
First piece of advice is take what "85 percent" says with a "grain of salt". He is very new to the board and has little experience with the Boxster outside of the problems he has had with his car. In fact the majority of his 70+ posts are nothing but negative. Honestly, if it were me and I hated any car that much I'd sell it and move on......but I digress.
!
New to the boxster, yes. I am not new to the auto world. I'm sure I have more experience with the mechanics of cars than you do.

Does it really surprise you that I'm pissed about the proven fact that Porsche sleeved faulty engine blocks, and didn't stand behind their product when unsurprisingly the sh*t hit the fan? Oh maybe I should be happy I was bent over and took it from behind like hundreds of other Boxster owners with the same issue. Look back at my posts, sure some of them express my anger, but tastefully. Someone asks about buying a 98-99 Boxster? you bet your @ss I'm going to warn them. Or wait, should we all sugar coat everything and say "oh no it's no problem at all, how dare thee speakith against all mighty porsche" ..... no no, if a company developed a bad PR reputation by not standing behind something that is CLEARLY the company's fault, you can bet people are going to be pissed. As for the Boxster itself, no I don't think its a bad car, I actually really miss mine- what I'm mad about is Porsche sitting back and letting its' customers sort out this well-known disaster..
Old 06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go buy another Honda S2000 and you can go back to "administering" the Honda Board. Opps, wait I wonder how many S2K owners got screwed when their #4 cylinder burned out??

Newsflash....cars are not perfect. No make or model doesn't have it's share of problems and the Boxster is certainly no exception. Most owners with the sleeve problem had the engines replaced under warranty and often out of warranty. Unfortunately (according to your earlier story) you purchased the car used and out of warranty (probably not from a Porsche dealer). Porsche decided (for whatever reason) not to warranty your car. Did you get screwed, probably but only you and Porsche know the full details of the situation and we have only heard your side.

I feel sorry for your situation, but that doesn't make every M96 bad or every 2.5 a failure waiting to happen. The motor on my car (and the huge majority of others cars including 2.5's) works just fine. Do uninformed posters get a "balanced perspective" of good and bad from reading your posts?? No they get negative post after negative post.

"my advice? dont buy one unless you'd enjoy having engine failure" (just one more example)

People on this board are very honest about the strengths and weaknesses of the M96. The sleeve issues on the '99's and RMS have been widely and openly discussed. No one is hiding anything here.

Sounds like you got rid of your Boxster. In your case, good for you! I sincerely hope you can enjoy your new car! Unfortunately, that chip on your shoulder still seems awfully big...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:59 AM
85percent
Instructor

1) I'm not saying your wrong- you were just quick to pass judgement on me. 2) Yes I suppose I do have a chip on my shoulder, but I think any sensible person would after having to spend $12,000 on a new engine, and Porsche admitted the mistake but refused to help. 3) I have nothing against the Boxster- I love the way it handles, I love how smooth it feels around turns, I love the looks of it, and I just think it's a great roaster all around. BUT I have a problem with the decision Porsche made by re-sleeving blocks that should never have been used- THATS where I get bitter and sour. 4) I know every car and make has problems, but usually the problem is not as large as the one Porsche made by re-sleeving faulty engine blocks. They should have deducted $10K off of the price of these "new boxsters" when they sold them because there's no way these automotive geniuses were oblivious to sh*t hitting the fan by approving these boxsters for sale..

Anyways, I get my boxster back tomorrow with an S engine and a reprogrammed ECU- it's going to be like christmas day for me. I've been looking forward to this day for 3 months.. I would never say that about my S2k...
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys are violent over here. I test drove this one yesterday. All I have to say is 'Nice,' and no evidence of an oil leak. Any PM's of what I should be looking at more closely are welcome before I commit, as you all have me scared over here Thanks in advance, Ron-

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...e&aff=national
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deptotpr
You guys are violent over here. I test drove this one yesterday. All I have to say is 'Nice,' and no evidence of an oil leak. Any PM's of what I should be looking at more closely are welcome before I commit, as you all have me scared over here Thanks in advance, Ron-

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...e&aff=national

Do some research...thankfully, there's plenty of it.

Here's a good start:
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...oxsterwebpages

And here's another:
http://www.986faq.com/

Good luck to you!

Quick Reply: Advice on buying an early Boxster