Wanted to Introduce myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat7
Ray does have a point... I mean I have never driven either car, but the SCCA says that the Boxster S is faster, its in SS while the S2000 is in AS. If you use this same reasoning, the Boxster base would be the same as an S2000 because they are both in AS, now I definately do realize that there is a wide range of speed within a class but still.

I definately like the fact that the boxster has more torque which would make it easier to drive on a daily basis. I know I miss the torque of my 300ZX. I don't like the idea of having to drive a car that close to redline to get its peak performance.
Chad, If you like your 944 you are going to love the Boxster. The Boxster has a "bulletproof" handling feel like the 944 with slightly higher limits. It also has more power and is less maintenance intensive.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:33 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what "Honda weed" you are smoking

Sound????? Youv'e got to be kidding! At redline the S2000 sounds like a Star Treck Phazer on overload

Sorry, but thats just funny.

One question. If the S2k was so much better in performance, why did you get a 2.5L Boxster?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray S
Not sure what "Honda weed" you are smoking but that info is just wrong. Top speed of the S2K is 150 period. You driving an "indicated" 158 does not change this, show me a documented case of an stock S2K running 158. In fact, the Bosxter and Boxster S both have a higher top speeds than an S2000.
1) I never said my S2k was stock =) ...but neither were the boxsters i raced.

2) S2k top speed is higher than 150, unless the speedometer was way off on three S2k's.

3) I don't know what a Boxster's top speed is, so I can't argue with you there.

Concerning blown engines, you got lucky with your Honda and unlucky with your Porsche. Got to www.s2ki.com and search under #4 Cylinder and you will see what I mean.

Sure S2k's see their fair share of blown engines, but from what I've read, there's an unreasonably high amount of 98-99 Boxsters with defective engines.

As far as performance goes the base Boxster has less HP but more torque. On an autocross course it's a drivers race. The Boxster loses a little in acceleration, but handles better.

On the street, the S2000 is slightly quicker than a 2.5/2.7 Boxster driven at 10/10ths however, it has very little torque and drives like a Civic until you hit the VTEC engagement at 6,000 rpm (I have driven both quite a bit and in daily driving the Boxster feels (and is) faster because it has a much more useable torque). As far as handling goes there just is no comparison. The 986 feels secure and composed, while the S2000 feels nervous and twichy. (again search www.s2ki.com under "snap oversteer" or a like term and you will get the idea).
Yea, ok I agree

Sound????? Youv'e got to be kidding! At redline the S2000 sounds like a Star Treck Phazer on overload, while the Boxster produces a rich, powerful roar.
I love the sound of the S2k's VTEC at 8-9k rpm- ESPECIALLY with a vented hood. =) ....but hey I'm not saying the Boxster doesn't have a sweet hum in the higher RPM's.. =)

The Boxster S is simply a faster car than the S2000. It will out accelerate and handle any stock S2000. With equal drivers on an autocross course the Boxster S will win......period!
Ok then, but it is pretty damn close between the two.. admit it! haha.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:41 PM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
Sorry, but thats just funny.

One question. If the S2k was so much better in performance, why did you get a 2.5L Boxster?
eh hem. well... keep in mind. it IS a honda..

but most people underestimate S2k's.. they're fast little roadsters.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I don't underestimate them. They are capable cars. In fact my nephew is in the process of a S2k purchase. But there's the option of a Boxster S, if money isn't an issue.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I like the sound of the S2K when in VTEC, but when it is out of that range, it sounds like a civic which I don't like... Nothing beats the sounds of a german flat 6.... nothing....

I am going to try and drive a boxster next week. I went to drive it today, but it is raining and if I'm gonna test drive one I am going to do it when I can drop the top... The only thing that I didn't like, its a 1 owner car at a high end used car dealer and when I drove up in my 944, dressed nicely, genuinely interested in the car, he treated me like I was some punk kid just looking for a joy ride. I mean I'm not seriously looking yet, but if I find a nice dealer who is willing to treat me like a person and an actual potential buyer I would come back to them when I find the car that I want. He did say that if I find a price on the internet, they will beat it, which was cool, but I still hate the fact people don't take me serious as a car buyer. I mean I'm a 20 year old engineering student at the number 1 school in the country. Average starting salary of a Rose-Hulman graduate is 65 - 70K a year, and people in this town know that, why can't they realize that some of us are actually interested in cars and do actually have the means to buy them. I have a lot of money saved up now to put towards a car, but they dont' even look at that or even ask... GOD I HATE DEALERS!!

Sorry for the rant... but that just pisses me off!! back on topic...

Have you guys noticed any snap oversteer or similar problems with your cars??
Old 03-23-2005, 04:04 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Hey Chad. When you test drive the Boxster, make sure the tire pressure is correct (preferred pressure is 32F, 36R). Tire pressure on most dealer cars are WAY OFF. It make a HUGE difference in how the car drives and feels.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85percent
Agreed, they are fast cars. But IMHO they can sometimes be the most over-estimated cars out there. On the Honda boards stories of the S2K besting C5's, 996's, and E46 M3's abound.

Unfortunately, it seems like Honda is going to let the S2000 die on the vine (much like the NSX). From what I read, no major updates are improvements are even in the works. Lastly, the styling (once again my opinion) has not aged as gracefully as the Boxster which to my eyes still looks fresh and interesting.

I know I can't stop looking at mine.....
Old 03-23-2005, 04:23 PM
85percent
Instructor

woah. your's look really nice. what lowering kit did you go with? i like it.

here's my old S2k and new boxster before i lowered it with 19's.

another shot of the S2k with Spoon wheels.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Sharp cars!

My 986 has Kinesis springs w/ 030 bars and shocks. It rides a little harshly on the road but it feels close to perfect at a DE or autocross.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:38 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

I'm pretty intimately familiar with the S2k and vastly prefer the Boxster's power delivery, sound, interior, and shape; in fact, last summer I bought a MazdaSpeed Turbo Miata rather than an S2k, and would have done so even without a 10k price differential.

BUT, I have to give kudos to 85percent's gentlemanly attitude. Classy responses above after you had been... ahem, not so subtly reamed out about your opinions. If I'm ever wrong about something I hope I can admit it as gracefully as you!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:12 PM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoPorscheRightNow
I'm pretty intimately familiar with the S2k and vastly prefer the Boxster's power delivery, sound, interior, and shape; in fact, last summer I bought a MazdaSpeed Turbo Miata rather than an S2k, and would have done so even without a 10k price differential.

BUT, I have to give kudos to 85percent's gentlemanly attitude. Classy responses above after you had been... ahem, not so subtly reamed out about your opinions. If I'm ever wrong about something I hope I can admit it as gracefully as you!
thanks for the nice words. btw, I had a fixed up miata as well (before the S2k). I guess over the years I've been moving up the food chain with cars. hheh.

Ray, I'm really trying to drop my boxster a little lower in front then then the back to give it a more aggressive look. My Eibach's dropped it evenly all the way around (i think 1.5 inches?) do these springs you have drop it more than that?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:21 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

wow Ray... your car is incredible!! I love the way that looks. that's one thing I love about the Boxster. How incredible they can look with very subtle mods.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Originally Posted by wombat7
Have you guys noticed any snap oversteer or similar problems with your cars??
Hi Chad,
I had one instance of a sudden snap oversteer. I have no traction control or PSM, and it was wet out here (this is in Vancouver after all).
Certainly caught me by surprise, but what was even more cool was just how EASY it was to get out of. Correction was almost video-game easy: keep the throttle down and countersteer, 911-style.

I love my Boxster. Such a merciful mistress she is.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 AM
85percent
Instructor

...i wish mine was silver. black gets boring.

Quick Reply: Wanted to Introduce myself