Sponsored by:

Should I get service now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005 | 03:15 PM
chuckd94
Track Day

Question Should I get service now?

Hi,

I own a used 2000 Boxster S with approximately 40,000 miles. Its service records indicate that it last had a "minor" service in September 2003 at 35,000 miles. According to the records, the car has never had a "major" service.

Do you think I should get service done at this time? The car runs well, although the check engine light will come on if the gas tank gets low. If I do get service, should it be the major or minor level?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2005 | 11:49 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

If the 30k service has not been done, you will want to do that for sure.
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:06 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuckd94
The car runs well, although the check engine light will come on if the gas tank gets low.
The check engine light may be coming on because of the low pressure in the tank when it's empty. It will come on if you leave the gas cap off or loose and start the car as the computer checks for cap leaks. There was a recall on the 2000 MY gas cap so check and make sure that was done.

Originally Posted by chuckd94
If I do get service, should it be the major or minor level?

Thanks!
You should get the oil changed even if you don't do anything else since it's been over a year. As far as "major" or "minor" service, there was nothing really huge done at the 30K mile major service. The most important things were replacing the spark plugs, the cabin filter, the air filter, the fuel filter and oil/filter change. Everything else is just "look and see how it's doing" and you can do that easily. I took mine to the dealer for that service and it was over $800 I just ordered all of the parts for this same service for mine at 60K and the total was $115, and that included 5 oil filters for the future, but you don't have to do all of the maintence yourself to save $500-700.

You can order all of the filters and the oil drain plug crush ring at http://www.pap-parts.com/store/depar....asp?dept=1028 All of the filters are MAHLE, the Porsche OEM company, so they are the same filters the Porsche dealer has without the label. The spark plugs are Bosch Platinum #4303 available at any auto store and the PAP website if you want to put them in yourself (hang in there with me if you don't want to do the work, I promise I'll get to that next). You can also get the 9 quarts of Mobil 1 oil at the auto shop. If you do it yourself, the cabin filter is in the front compartment under the plastic cover on the passenger side next to the battery compartment with one torx screw in it. Only one screw to remove. The air filter is in the engine compartment on the driver's side mounted vertically against the outer wall of the compartment. The fuel filter is in the middle of the car above the coolant lines that run from the engine to the radiators. The spark plugs are reached from under the car on the sides of the engine (there are no plug wires so look for three coils that are screwed in each side of the engine block. The oil filter is under the chassis and is a "recycle" type filter. You actually order the inside filter and rubber gasket and re-use the canister. You will need an oil filter socket (74mm with 14 flutes) to get the canister off. When you tighten it back, the 25Nm it calls for is 18.4 foot pounds.

If you don't want to do all of that yourself, here's what you can do and still save over $500. Call your local oil-change/tune-up shops and find out who has Mobil 1. If they have Mobil 1, ask them if you can bring your own oil, fuel and air filters. If they say yes, ask if they can change the spark plugs with the Bosh plug #4303 along with the air and fuel filters you bring in. If they say no to using your own filters, tell them you'll pay $50 in addition to their labor to be able to use your filters. You'll still save a bundle. Most shops will let you bring in your filters because they would have to special order them. You want to take them in so you don't have cheap aftermarket filters. They don't charge that much for just the labor. You can change the cabin filter easily or have them do that too for a few bucks. If you find a shop or two who will let you do this, order all of the filters and the oil drain crush ring from the website as if you were doing it yourself and take them in to the shop you choose.

If you use a local oil change/tune-up shop you should take the torque values for the spark plugs with you. If you don't have them, let me know and I'll look them up since I'll be finding them for my plug change soon. Also go to page 130 in your owner's manual and be familiar with how the top is opened to expose the engine compartment. It's very easy to do and you can ask if they will let you open and close the top to keep greasy fingers away from it.

I know that's a long deal, so if anything is unclear, please ask and I'll clarify. Porsches are fantastic feats of engineering and really great/easy to work on so you may enjoy getting under the hood (or the convertible top in this case).

Part numbers for those interested:
Oil Filter - 996.107.225.52 (fits 97-02 models)
Oil Drain Plug Crush Ring - Aluminum Drain Plug Seal, 18x24mm (fits all models)
Air Filter - 996.110.131.03 (fits 97-03 models)
Fuel Filter - 996.110.253.01 (fits 97-03 models)
Cabin/Pollen Filter - 996.572.219.01 (fits all models I believe)
Spark Plugs - Bosch #4303

Hope it helps!

Last edited by deliriousga; 03-20-2005 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:16 PM
chuckd94
Track Day

Wow, that is a lot of info! Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-21-2005 | 01:36 PM
Ferdinand
Track Day

Thanks for the info deliriousga, this is definitely a post worth printing and saving.

Quick Reply: Should I get service now?