Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuddering/vibration at deceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuddering/vibration at deceleration.

I'm getting a little shuddering or vibration when letting off the gas. It's not all of the time, just occasionally and only in 3rd and 4th gears and when I'm in the 4-5K rpm range when I let off. I figure it's something in the clutch, just don't know if it's a bearing, plate, etc. Anyone experience it or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:07 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

HOW OLD IS YOUR CLUTCH?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:35 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

60K miles. I'm replacing the one in my 928 right now with 100K miles, but it's also 18 years old. It may be normal and I just never noticed it before. I don't drive it as often as I used to since we can't carpool as much so it may just be something I didn't pay attention to before.

It's not a rough shimmy or anything like that, just feel it a little in the gas pedal when I let off. Feels like it's just pulling back like an automatic would.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Cass
1st Gear

Could be Dual Mass Flywheel - I had a similar problem on my old Audi TT (sorry !), and it used to judder when lifting off at about 3000 rpm. More noticable in higher gears (4th and 5th). Problem was eventually diagnosed as faulty DMF and it was replaced. Audi America had issued a TSB on the fault but Audi UK prevents online access to their TSB's. Some haggling with dealer and Audi UK eventually got it replaced as a goodwill gesture, however the same problem appeared about 5k miles later, so I traded it and bought a Boxster. I was told by a well respested independent dealer that DMF problems are more prevalent in 4WD vehicles because of the way the drive operates - Front pull and Rear push. The two flywheel plates vibrate and this causes the vibration. Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to get the gearbox out and have a look.

My current Boxster has a light vibration which is felt through the clutch pedal when changing up at high revs. I have been advised that some UK Boxters with such a problem have had a faulty DMF but the problem doesn't annoy me too much and the clutch action is still OK - car currently has 32k on the clock.

Hope it all works out.

Cass
Old 03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Pyroproblem
Intermediate

I think thats also a symptom of driveshaft/s having a bit too much play...Something about when the CV joints are loaded or unloaded...I dont know,just an idea...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Im looking for a new clutch because I have that problem and a number of others and its because i need a new clutch, so im looking for where I can get a good deal on a clutch. Any help?

Quick Reply: Shuddering/vibration at deceleration.