Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod/iPod mini for Boxster (987)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:39 PM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod/iPod mini for Boxster (987)

Hi,

New Boxster in the garage, first time Porsche owner. Love it!

Q: Anyone use an iPod mini on a Belkin TuneBase with Griffin iTrip for iPod mini out there? (I have the Bose 11 speaker system with AudioPilot etc.)

Q: Does it work well? Any drawbacks or observations you'd like to pass along?

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use iTrip

only draw back is that its not 'real' solution.

its better than the others out there because you can choose from ANY station to play to. helps in crowded airwave areas.

performance is acceptable for what it is, but it ain't no hardwire solution...

unfortunately its the ONLY solution
Old 02-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

If the factory stereo has rca preouts you can buy an adapter to hook your ipod to the preouts.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by Redlyne_mr2
If the factory stereo has rca preouts you can buy an adapter to hook your ipod to the preouts.
nope
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I was not happy with the iTrip solution so I found a better one. I bought a 2005 Alpine deck about 2 weeks ago and it works in conjuction with another device that Alpine sells that connects to the iPod. It's hard wired and allows you to control your iPod from the Alpine head unit (playlists, etc). It even charges your iPod while in use. Sounds great - the days of disc changers are long gone!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by fluid15
I was not happy with the iTrip solution so I found a better one. I bought a 2005 Alpine deck about 2 weeks ago and it works in conjuction with another device that Alpine sells that connects to the iPod. It's hard wired and allows you to control your iPod from the Alpine head unit (playlists, etc). It even charges your iPod while in use. Sounds great - the days of disc changers are long gone!!!
now someone can chime in about how vinyl sounds better

the MOST system is REALLY stupid, prevents any sort of afermarket mod unless you want to tear out the head unit/amp/expensive BOSE system
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention the Alpine solution was done in my 4Runner, not my 911. I don't listen to music much in my 993 - top down and the sound of the engine is music to my ears.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.1.1.0.3

Since the FM in my 996 sux, this is not a great solution. The new alpine head and ipod "changer" is the only correct solution at this time. And, as stipulated, it really only works for pre-MOST 911s.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Ferdinand
Track Day

The FM solutions are terrible, in cities the reception is constantly interrupted and even when you get out of the city the FM sounds are thin, two-dimentional. Best solution if you have a CDR-220 radio is to get the Becker cable and connect the iPod directly, it's easy to do and sounds as good as CD quality. If you don't have a CDR-220, you can buy a used one on eBay if it fits.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:52 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

What about CDR 223? Any cable, etc. for that? Any solution that would allow me to just disconnect the trunk mount changer and replace with an ipod velcroed to the carpet? Price is no object.

Matt
Old 02-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

The Alpine solution is the best way to go for sound quality for sure. The Alpine does have a problem... it can only show up to 255 song titles or record names. That sucks as far as that goes, but it works and sound great.

The other thing that we have been doing is using a WIRED FM mod instead of the wireless ones. By hardwiring the FM Mod, we have found that the sound is way better and the interference is minimal.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is also a cable that Alpine sells ($15) that plugs into some head units that have a required rear plug (some a/v jack?), where the other end plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod. Controls are through the iPod, not the stereo. This still doesn't help you with the factory stereo.

What is a Becker Cable?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:55 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

This might be getting OT since the problem is finding a solution with the Porsche head unit, but some might find it helpful.

Alpine's Solution from their website is listed below (I have no affiliation with Alpine):

Plug It in and Charge it Up.

The KCA-420i is the first interface adapter ever to allow seamless communication between an iPod™ and your Alpine car stereo. And the connection is simple because no power wires are needed. Just plug your iPod into the adapter and it charges as you drive. The KCA-420i fits discreetly under the dash, in the trunk or under the seat.

Get Control.

Plugging in keeps you in control. You can quickly search and listen to your iPod™tracks directly from your Alpine head unit, and even use a remote control. QuickSearch keys allow you to navigate through your collection by Playlist, artist, or album and find what you're in the mood for.

Turn It Up With Superior Sound.

Don't fear a loss in quality. Compatible 2004 Alpine head units use MediaXpander technology to restore lost detail in compressed digital media, bringing essence and life back to the music as the artist had originally intended.

Key Features
• Control iPod functions from the head unit.
• Display playlist, artist, album or song information on the head unit
• MediaXpander sound processing
• Bass Engine Capabilities
• Quick Search Capabilities
• iPod charging function

More info at this LINK.

Quick Reply: iPod/iPod mini for Boxster (987)