New Porsche Tech here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Pyroproblem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche Tech here!

Hello everyone!
Im new to the boards and wanted to introduce myself properly.I am 25 years old and a graduate of the Porsche training school in ATL. I am now an ASE master tech and have been working on Porsches for almost a year. I prefer to not say what dealership I work at as of yet but Im totally willing to share what Ive learned about these cars both at school and hands on at work...
I must say this has got to be one of the best jobs in the world! I get to work on these awesome machines and drive them and get paid for it...
So far my favorite is the 911 turbo S...One day I will own my own but until then, it will be just my old honda civic for now...
Old 02-20-2005, 05:06 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Welcome aboard! Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic. I used to have one, too! Fun to mod and take abuse without worry. I used to wind 10 grand (race cam) out of mine all the time
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Welcome Pyroproblem. I envy you with all that access to those beautiful machines. Again, great to have you abroad.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A special welcome to you sir.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Tour18
Banned

Greetings! And a real gear head knows it doesn't matter who made it...
Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the boards! If you're still in the ATL, you've probably been introduced to our Boxster. TTYL
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pyroproblem
I am now an ASE master tech and have been working on Porsches for almost a year.
I'm curious,....what does it take to get into that sort of training? What were the prerequisites and are there any openings?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Pyroproblem
Intermediate

Thanks guys for all the welcomings! I race my civic also but it only sees about 9k max due to the increase of stroke,but enough of that.
And I also agree with the fact it doesnt matter who makes it,it all comes down to if its fast and all the neat little things car manufacturers do to extract that last bit of HP. That is also something I recognize Porsches for, there ability to produce great power output out of relatively small displacement engines and the fact they like to use turbochargers!
Im not in ATL anymore, but I will be going up there in March for MY05 training. I cant wait

Paul, there are a few ways to become a Porsche tech. Some dealerships will hire anyone who has any kind of car experience and there own tools(sad but true). It really all depends on the Service manager. Other guys I know got on at a dealership as a porter washing cars, moving them and other small tasks. Eventually the dealer can sponsor that person and send them to the PTAP(Porsche Technical Apprenticeship Program) program in Atlanta for there formal Porsche training which last about 6 months. Usually most dealerships want to hire graduates from this program only because they are mainly graduates from automotive tech schools(UTI) who finished at the top of there class...
The PTAP program is by far the hardest to get into because they only graduate 28 people a year(14 per class) and EVERYONE wants to get into Porsche. It took me 3 attempts to get in before I finally was accepted and I had perfect attendance,3.95 GPA, special awards,Honor society, Deans list,etc.
But the easiest way to get in the door is to go talk to the service manager(after tech school) and try to get him to sponsor you...Good luck if you or anyone decide to take this route
Old 02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Pyro!
Old 02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pop Quiz!

Originally Posted by Pyroproblem
...a graduate of the Porsche training school in ATL. I am now an ASE master tech and have been working on Porsches for almost a year...
I happened to have a question you might be able to answer if you've got the time? I've got a base Boxster with a dead motor and am looking at options...

What does it take to get an '00 Boxster S motor into a '99 Boxster? How 'straight' a swap is it?

I've been told that I could use my intake (from the '99) on the S motor and keep all the existing electronics. Does that sound feasable? How laborous is that? (..i.e. do you have any idea how much a dealership would charge me?)

Will the exaust swap out as well or will I need a whole new one?

Thanks! ..and welcome to the board!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Pyroproblem
Intermediate

Ive done quite a few engine R+R's in boxsters mostly from RMS's leaking and the cases being out of round. Externally, I believe the dimensions are the same so bolting up the engine to the car will be exactly the same for both engines...
I believe the DME's are also the same version(7.2 or 7.8,cant remember-LOONG DAY) I believe so you will only have to get it reprogrammed for the "S". Ill have to check to see when they changed to E-gas and also the returnless fuel system both I believe were in 2000 or maybe that was for 996t's(?),If thats the case,it may pose a few challenges.
If Im not mistaken the clutches are different(dif. part #'s)also, so that may be an issue or it could just be different pressure plate strengths...
I am pretty sure the exhausts are the same as well,never compared part #'s but they both attach to the engine and body the same...
As far as dealer prices go,typically its 8 hours for engine R+R and another 2-3 for swapping accessories between engines(trans/clutch/ac compressor)So your probably looking at somewhere around $1500 for labor alone.This is just a rough estimate.
Hope that helps, sorry I couldnt give you more definate answers, I worked almost 13 hours today and finally conquered this Cayenne that has been kicking my *** for the past 2 days I can barely remember my own name.LOL

Just outta curiosity, what failed in your original engine?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's ok, and thanks for the input!

My Boxster motor seems to have suffered the dreaded "early Boxster motor failure" that I'm hearing way too much about. I'm not sure the exact details, but I believe it has something to do with the intermediate shaft? Needless to say, my motor will not rotate more than 270 degrees acccording to my independant wrench. (..former dealer tech gone independant.)

I've been looking at a number of options, from a 996 motor install to just replacing with another stock motor. Turns out this is the cheapest route (still at around $8k). But I was offered a Porsche Remanufactured Boxster S motor for $6500 and I thought, if it were a reasonably easy fit, I might like that over the 2.5 (as long as Porsche would still honor the warranty of the reman motor). The team that is offering me the motor says the e-gas won't be a problem if I just swap out the induction from my 2.5 motor...and I could keep all the current electronics.

Anywho, it's kind of a moot point since I called the dealership yesterday and they said they already have the 2.5 reman motor in and they hope to get the car done very soon...possibly this week still. (For the record, this is a very different story then what they told me on Monday... )

But thanks again for the input! I think your help is going to be greatly appreciated on this board.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Tech here!