Sponsored by:

987: to S or not to S

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boxster is the "wife's" but still hoping to get myself a C4 or Turbo Carerra in '07 when they come out (the Turbo that is)....

Yea, the S2000 isn't a bad car, (little too high reving for me) but its no Porsche...

Old 02-15-2005, 07:15 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be great if PCNA would come out with a "Boxster Clubsport" - performance tires, wheels, suspension and maybe motor, but otherwise bare-bones equipped with the exception of a/c and a basic stereo. Manual top, cloth interior (okay maybe leather), minimal soundproofing, minimal electronic doodads, basic center console and carpeting, etc...that would make a really sweet rocket and would stay true to the Boxster's supposed 550 Spyder roots. Maybe even have the option to delete the a/c, capreting and even the seats (and give owners the option to install their own)...that would be a car I would be interested in.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

if money is no issue, go with the S. Shouldn't even think twice.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Moogle
Race Car

S2000, wonderful little engine, but wheres the torque? also, its VERY high strung, have to keep in the upper 40% to get ANY feeling of power.

good engineering, but still a honda.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:47 AM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Moogle
S2000, wonderful little engine, but wheres the torque? also, its VERY high strung, have to keep in the upper 40% to get ANY feeling of power.

good engineering, but still a honda.
Ahh brand loyalty.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ettsn
You'll notice, of course, that those of us who made the decision to get an S will suggest doing likewise, and those who opted for the base model for their own reasons will suggest that their conclusion is similarly optimal. Who's right? We all are. We clearly bought them for different reasons. If the additional power or cache or brakes or whatever isn't important to you, get the base model. For me, the extra performance was the deal sealer. Drive them both, and the answer for you will be obvious (whichever way you decide).
Let me be the oddball. I've had a base 2.5 and I now have an S. If I had to do it over again, I'd stick with the base. The soul of the car can be found in the turns, and for that, the engine size matters little.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:05 PM
qirex
Racer

yeah but who likes getting passed by minivans?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Palting, FWIW after canyon bashing in california with both cars, I personally would get an S with standard wheels and suspension. The tire sidewalls for the 19"s were softened, negating the handling advantage, and i dont think they look any better. take one for a ride and see what you think...
Old 02-21-2005, 10:24 PM
porsche1662
Racer

Originally Posted by qirex
You mean the one with the "HEMI"
Old 02-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by qirex
After getting my speed junkie fix at the track, I hardly ever speed on the highways anymore. So, I get passed by all cars on the street.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Moogle
its VERY high strung, have to keep in the upper 40% to get ANY feeling of power.
Sounds like a GT3.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

I was happy with fast cars until I drove fast quick cars. If you don't get the S don't drive an S and you won't be dissapointed. Seriously, take a 2.7 out for a long test drive. It's your driveway. My mechanic says that they are the most reliable porsche ever. But you have to drive it. Seat of the pants will tell you more than my opinion. As for me, where can I get a turbo S?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
Nah, the S2000 is a nice car, but nowhere near either the Boxster or the Boxster S, either new or old.

Thanks guys. I'm going for the S. Bare bones, you can always add the extras later. Which brings up another question. I'll start another thread for that one.
PALTING, you're not going for the lotus elise ? saw your post on puresportscar.com and thought you were interested.

man i'm lusting after the elise/exige
Old 02-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup, I was on the list, build date was already this March. Test drove it and put a deposit down last summer. Storm titanium, sport pack, touring pack, hard top. At $48K MSRP, it wasn't cheap. But, hey, it's a street legal race car, right? I was willing to put up with contorting to get in and out, actually told myself I liked the fact that it was a spartan "track toy" interior, turned a blind eye to the fact that the Lotus dealer was 1 1/2 hrs away. I even convinced myself that the build quality has improved from the 2002 Esprit that burst into flames in front of me on the track.

Then the 987 came out. R&T test results came out. Drove the thing. My "it's all worth it street legal race car" of an Elise was soundly trounced by the Porker!! For only a few dollars more, I could get a car I could get in an out off without an Olympic tryout, AC that actually works, still a ragtop, service I know to be excellent 30 minutes from my house, and performance of a track toy that beats the "street legal racecar". I would have a street legal race car that is actually street friendly in the 987S. The only thing left on the Elise side was the "Bling-Bling" factor. To the outside world , the Elise was a firecracker compared to the absolute dud of a Boxster. If I was goiing to buy it to show off and get attention, then it would have been the Elise. That wasn't why I was buying the car. Got my deposit back and put in the order for the 987S. Too bad. I really liked the Elise. Since you bring it up, you can check out the whole story at elisetalk.com.

The only thing other thing I felt bad about was with the Elise dealer. The guy was absolutely outstanding, called me in as soon as they had a demo, no premium when everyone else was charging $5-10K, put the guys on the waiting list forward when anyone backed out rather than selling the spot for more premium. But, life goes on. He'll get first crack when I start looking for a 2 year old Elise for less than $30K .

Last edited by Palting; 02-24-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:12 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
Yup, I was on the list, build date was already this March... .
ya, i'd love an elise for the track and occasionally on the streets as a second car. there's no way i'd pay the 10K over MSRP you were talking of.

so funny, i just downloaded the top gear review of the exige and they mentioned that elise sales over the pond have plummeted and over here we have to pay for the markup.

enjoy the 987S! i had a regular boxster and it was soooo much fun to drive, just didn't have enough ooomph.

Quick Reply: 987: to S or not to S