ECU flashloading for Boxsters!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
MiniDriver
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PorschePhD

Ya she scoots, I consider it my training wheels. The MTH is configurable
(ie) you indicate the mods done Pulley CAI, header, cat back big valve head, cam, etc I like that fact that I can down load the file myself and upload it too and I get free upgrade's as many as I need. The turn around time for Franz on my first upgrade was 16hrs This makes for a great Mod party!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Could you be a little more specific on "anytime an upgrade comes out for the file they have it is free for life". What is the file? Do you mean basically an update of an existing software/map? What I (and others) would like to know is if we get an ECU upgrade, then later (incrementally) add a better intake, then later exhaust, then maybe even later cams, etc., is this a different "file" and do we have to pay again? The real reason is if so, then we would do ECU flashes AFTER all other upgrades are done.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:13 PM
CharlesV
Intermediate

Just out of curiosity, do you also do custom maps for customers based on the modifications they have? If I were to install headers, race-cats, intake, and exhaust, would you then write a custom file for me that would optimize performance with these modifications? If I later added cams, would I have to pay another $600 for the reflash, or would that be free? Just trying to get a little more info.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
MiniDriver
5th Gear

Yes exactly I can get a free upgrade from MTH, currently I have a 15% reduction pulley, when I upgrade with a JCW CAI with 398cc Injectors all I will have to do is resend my MTH file via email to Franz indicate the hardware upgrade and he will send me a new MTH file configured with the new hardware mods, so when I next put a catback exhaust I just repeat the prosess for a new mod I can get this done for life at no additional cost.

Mike
Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Stephen,

Thank you for the response. Honestly, I'm still a bit sceptical but I am considering your offer (I have a '00 2.7 w/an evo intake).

I know that Porsche has made significant power gains on the 2.7 (from 217 up to 240 in the '05's). However, these gains came from more than chip tuning only. The new cars have a substantially improved headers, Variocam Plus, and a host of other changes.

However, if you have any 2.7 customers with before and after dyno runs I'd love to see them.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniDriver
Hi I'm am new to this site, I currently drive a 2004 MCS 1.6L Super Charged with InterCooler in stock trim it produce's 163 HP and about 155Ft lb Tq.
I have installed a 15% reduction pulley on the SC and done a ECU Remap from a company in Germany basically you down load your current ECU and send it to Franz (MTH-CARTUNE) he modifies the map sends it back through email you then upload it back to your car, the only thing you need is a Laptop and a OBDI Serial cable I purchased a used cable for 50.00 new from Germany with frt included you pay about 100.00 the MTH software remap will cost you about 77.00 ya that's right 77.00 real world dyno proven results of appro 15 Hp and 8Ft Lb Tq in the lower RPM Band. GIAC is something I am aware of but this is the first I have heard of them doing a remap with the OBDI port in the past it has been a hardware upgrade. so to ans your question does something like this work Oh ya does it go away oh no. Franz at MTH recalibrate the rev limiter to 7250, removes the top speed limiter and reconfigures the DSC/ASC to kick in later this can be found on some of the Mini Cooper forums NAM, MINI2. CooperSpeed.com etc it has been done thousands of time and is a real deal!!!! if GIAC is doing something along the same lines you will not be disappointed!!!! just my 0.2 cents worth but for the above mentioned price!!!!!!!!!! ok maybe way to much. With the pulley and the MTH upgrade I now put 176 Hp and 162 ft lbs TQ to the wheels in a 2600 lb car this is a real blast my milage has even gotten better!!!!!

Mike
Mike,

Thank for the info. I have no doubt that you have seem huge gains on your Mini. However, gains are much easier to achieve with chip tuning on a car with forced induction (the pulley helps too). The 986 does not have FI so chip tuning (at least by my understanding) will yield much smaller results.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:13 PM
MiniDriver
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ray S
Mike,

Thank for the info. I have no doubt that you have seem huge gains on your Mini. However, gains are much easier to achieve with chip tuning on a car with forced induction (the pulley helps too). The 986 does not have FI so chip tuning (at least by my understanding) will yield much smaller results.

Ray,

Point taken, but I must tell you that MTH does remaps for the Non super charged Mini Engine too, and the HP and Tq gains are better!!!!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: ECU flashloading for Boxsters!!