Sponsored by:

Battery recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Battery recommendations

Well, it's been 8 winters and my Boxster's battery looks like it might not make it another year (great life though). Do I go for a Porsche OEM unit or some generic replacement? What have you folks done? TIA
Old 02-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2950
Old 02-09-2005, 04:20 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't laugh, but personally, I recommend the Everstart MAXX. I say don't laugh because it's only available at Wal-Mart. My wife used to work for the company that makes the batteries. The technology in that battery is the best on the market and was the reason her company was bought by another. It's a completely sealed battery made to last longer than others, especially in storage situations, and no risk of fume build-up since it's sealed. Great for Jeeps w/ winches too.

The reason it's not available anywhere else is the cost. Wal-mart is the only company that buys enough quantity to bring the cost down to a competitive level (and they beat on you until you agree to the price they wanted anyway).

Have fun shopping.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

I went with a RG type battery. All sealed batteries are not alike. You want one you can bust open and have noting run out. there are many manufactures. RG stands for recombined gas but may also be call other names. The key in in the sealed and glass matt technology. You may have to do a little fabrication for a hold down or battery cable but not major stuff. You also have the added benefit of no terminal corrosion or catastropic acid damage in a crash.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 PM
fredg
2nd Gear

Cool Boxster Battery

I got fed up with my battery losing juice over the winter. It kept losing the charge even if I started it every week. I called Brandywine Porsche in Newtown Square, PA (877) 666-2884. Talked to Jay in Parts, great guy very knowledgeable. He said the OEM battery is not very reliable. They do not hold up very well over the winter. I bought a new battery, a Interstate Model# MPT91, at his suggestion. Found it for $98 at a local dealer who I found on the Interstate website! Went on ebay and bought a OEM trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter (57.00 delivered). All set now and ready for the snow to melt !

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations