Sponsored by:

Need some advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice/help

I own an '03 BoxsterS with about 19K miles. The car is just a touch over 1 year old. I have had many problems with it during my first year (top broke, engine problem, radio doesn't work, horn broken, cupholder broken, squeeks/rattles, etc.), but most of these were in the "nuisance" category, not catastrophe category. Last week (and I may be screwing this up since I'm not engine-savvy) a cylinder rod rammed through a cylinder head. Big problem. The dealership is recommending replacing the entire engine. Porsche NA is recommending fixing it. Frankly, I am unhappy with either option. My feeling is, I got a lemon and it's going to continue being a problem. No $56K car should have this many problems in one year, period. I want a new car. Would appreciate the insight anyone on this forum has as to what to expect, what's realistic, what you would do in my shoes, any past experiences, anecdotes, etc. How is Porsche NA to deal with? How well do they take care of their customers?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:07 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

....Porsche has never, to my knowledge, fixed a motor under warranty....they always replace. Rod through Head ??? I'm not sure anyone knows this one.

RMS, slipped sleeve or intermediate shaft..yes. Rod through head???no.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:05 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ds2k1

Sorry to hear your problem. I remember you from Edmunds when you bought your Boxster S last year. It's curious that you didn't get any response here. I've noticed that people with major complaints who are new to rennlist are often suspected of being "trolls", that is, phony trouble makers. So maybe this has something to do with it, maybe not. In any event anyone reading this should know that ds2k1 is not a troll so please help him out if you are able to.

I've heard of a blown rod problem in the 996 forum . The major differences between the 996 and 986 engine's are aspiration so your situation as rare as it seems doesn't surprise me. I don't blame you for thinking lemon considering the multiple issues, but your problem the way I see it is that the blown engine is a first-time occurrence that is readily fixable. Lemon laws seem to deal with unsuccessful multiple attempts to fix the same problem. Also, I believe that CA Lemon Law claims have to come before 18K miles or 18 months... or something like this.

But you could have a loophole because CA lemon laws are subject to interpretation. So, how far you get with PCNA may depend on your ability to negotiate with them and how much effort you are willing to put into it. But even if you were to get a buyback your 19K miles will knock the price down by at least $8K for usage which is stipulated in the lemon law. However, I believe their best offer will be a new engine, which will not really be new but a rebuilt engine. Stories of replacement engines are quite common around rennlist so maybe you can find some solace and direction this.

As far as PCNA, I have no experience dealing with them, but from what I read my intuition tells me they are probably no better or worse than BMW and MB. As a manufacturer of high-end performance cars they know they have to answer for problems. But they're not our daddies so you may have to push at it smoothly and cleverly for them to go the extra mile that you would like.

Do searches on rennlist. This should reveal some info. Hopefully someone else with experience and insight will also respond here.

Finally, I suggest reading the following thread in its entirety if you haven't done so already. It is in the 997 forum. Of course this man's story is different from yours but it will give you some insight and perhaps encourage you. There are also plenty of anecdotes, pertinent comments and opinions from other posters:

997 S in shop for 7th time in 3 months!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 AM
RAC
Racer

You could try posting on PPBB.com. That is a very active board for Boxsters.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:28 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

porsche doesnt allow outside contractors or dealers to fix their engines.

they always get sent back and torn down to see whats wrong, and remanufactuered if possible.

but wow, that sounds like some sort of build defect, i've never heard of a boxster having a connecting rod go through a cyllinder (is that even possible?)

did you buy the car used?
Old 02-05-2005, 01:22 PM
JMorgan456
Track Day

I would demand a new engine. Then I would make a value judgment on the car. With this many problems, I would be gun shy. After the replacement engine, I would have a sit down with the dealer and work out a good deal on another vehicle.

They know what you are getting and will probably be willing to help especially if they can move another car. They can get rid of your car too.

In my experience, PCNA has been great. Thye replaced my engine out of warranty Free. (RMS)

Quick Reply: Need some advice/help