Sponsored by:

Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Auto Show

Has anyone seen the new Boxster at the auto show? (Detroit or L.A.)

If so, what did you think?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:02 PM
VMac
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it in LA. Porsche had a great exhibit, by te way. After seeing the 987, I was ambivalent about the changes. The front end is a significant improvement to me (hood line, headlights, nose). But in person, the bevelled wheel wells were, hmm, distracting and seemed to cheapen the lines. The oft-maligned side vents looked every bit as off as in the pictures. And the interior was a collection of minor changes, with about as many "a little better" as "a little worse".

Pretty minor quibbles, to be sure... and I'm sure easily made irrelevant by the performance improvements. But I think if I could find a 2004 S for ~10k less than a 2005 S, I would definitely choose the former.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw both of them last week 30 minutes after they came off the truck. My dealer's open house is not until the 19th.

The ugly wheels can always be changed. I think the huge vents are silly - supposedly to make it look like a Carrera GT.

I can get use to this car.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3853
Old 01-17-2005, 02:42 PM
VMac
5th Gear

Wheels can be changed... bevelled wheel wells can't. But none of my quibbles would be deal breakers, that's for sure. If forced to choose, and price being equal, I'd probably go withthe 2005 S. But I think in many ways, they peaked with the 2004 SE.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:25 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just saw the new boxster at a dealer on Saturday. It was even more beautiful than I was expecting. I'm 100% glad that I didn't buy a 2004 because my personal thought is that the 2005 is better in every possible way and well worth the extra $10K. I can't wait for my 2005 to arrive.

Beauty however is in the eye of the beholder!

Last edited by ELUSIVE; 01-17-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:46 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree the new one is beautiful. However, I can't believe how different AND similar 986 and 987 look. 986 is more elegant, sculpted, shapely inside and out. 987 has a more chiseled, machine-like quality...the front end is my favorite part... Porsche nailed the mug. Both cars will always garner admiration and criticism. Most important thing is that we are happy. Also, never forget, the word that is most commonly used to sum up the Boxster in the press is...

BRILLIANT!

Stacey, this is going to be a long couple of months for you. Should be well worth the wait.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:23 PM
natzee
8th Gear

I was in LA last weekend and was able to check out the auto show. The 987 looks good and I just love the look of the ceramic brake option on the S model. It was cool to be able to see the CGT and seat inside the new 997. Also, the audio of the engine sound in the back ground was awesome.

Happy Driving,

-Nat
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey designman -
It's already been a long wait and i've got a couple more months to go...but seeing the 987 in person the other day justified the wait. Even my wife agreed that the car was beautiful.
I was in the market for a 2004 S when I heard that the plant had stopped manufacturing them. About two weeks later (Sept. 7th I believe) I was on germancarfans.com when I saw the very first pictures of the new car. I loved it in the pictures and put my deposit down to get on the list. Over the next few months i did more and more research and eventually placed the order in late November for exactly what I wanted....and then the countdown began. I'm glad that I chose April as i hope to let some of the potential gremlins out from the early mix...plus a ragtop will be much better post April than post January. They tell me the car is a february production and should be here late March to early april.
Sorry...had to ramble...can you tell i'm excited? I've really been dreaming about a Porsche since I was 10 and it's finally coming true.

Quick Reply: Auto Show