Sponsored by:

Help . . . May need new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Ferdinand
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help . . . May need new transmission

As I was driving, with no hint anything was wrong, the transmission on my tiptronic Boxster slipped, i.e. lost all traction. Engine kept going, but no movement, as if the transmission is disengaged.

Got towed to Bevely Hills Porsche, the nearest service station. They say my transmission pump blew, so my transmission ran hot without fluid, so it probably needs to be replaced (there's a burnt smell coming from there). They say it will cost $2,000 plus in labor to get to the transmission, and I will likely need a new one, which is another $4,300 plus.

Needless to say, I am reeling. The car is a '99, with 70M. There was never a hint anything was wrong, it had been serviced some 3M before this, and no gauges were lit when it happened. The explanation I was given was that this is a high performance car, so things like this just happen, i.e. your transmission fluid pump can just blow up, and cause you to need a new transmission and cost you $7000 plus for a car barely worth three times that.

Please help, I have many questions.

(1) Anyone else heard of transmission fluid pumps just break down and suddenly cause the transmission to burn up?

(2) Are the prices they are quoting me for real or fair? Am I better off going to a generic garage?

(3) Can I find a used transmission and get that one put in instead of a new one?

(4) How do I find out if I really do need a new transmission? I don't trust my service guy, and he says it will cost me the same in labor even if the transmission is still useable, because they won't know util they get in there and fix the pump and put everything back together again.

Any help or suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Ferdinand
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
ar38070
Advanced

A transmission swap should not take more than 8 hours.

You might try asking around at another dealer or independent for opinions and cost estimates. You can probably find a used transmission from a salvage yard for $2-3K.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Removing the tiptronic on a boxster is pain but 2,000 for the labor? Assuming around 115 dollar an hour labor charge, thats almost 17 hours, which is pretty close to double the book time.

If your pump blew, I think the smartest bet would be to get a new transmission, then plan on keeping the car for a while. You wouldnt want that transmission back unless it was completely rebuilt.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Ferdinand
Track Day

Yeah they quoted me just under $7,000 for the repairs; about $4,300 for replacement transmission and $2,500 for labor. So I towed the car to a mechanic who's known in LA for doing great work on Porsches. He confirmed the transmission's busted, but proposed to re-build/fix it himself. For $3,200, out the door, he'll fix the leaks, take out the trannie, fix it inside (said basically it's a Volkswagen trannie, can anyone confirm that???) and put it back in, plus give me a two-year warranty. Since it's half the price of what Porsche service quoted me, I decided to go with him. I sure hope he really does know exactly what he's doing, but he came recommended.

Quick Reply: Help . . . May need new transmission