Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Maintainer - necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Porsche Battery Maintainer - necessary?

I had planned on driving my Boxster S when the roads were clean to keep salt and sand off the car since I only had wash the car and it's not practical to hand wash regularly during the New England winters. We haven't had a clean dry road for at least 3 weeks now and the car is under a car cover in the garage.

Is it safe to use the Porsche Battery Maintainer with the car cover on? I was thinking of getting one. (I did a search and although the question was aksed, I never found an answer.)

Does this Maintainer only charge the battery when it drops below a certain voltage or is it possible it will over charge the battery?

Thanks,
Charlie (Hoping for some dry roads later in the week.)
Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I use the one from Porsche for my Boxster SE...all is well with it...
Old 01-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Dave-Montreal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Porsche Battery Maintainer with the car cover on. My car is stored for about 4-5 months. The charger only charges when the battery gets below a certain voltage. There is a light on it that indicates when it is actually charging, and it seems to me that it is rarely on. I don't think you have to worry about gas build-up under the cover as the amount of charge is so minimal.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are actually two now. One that does no more than trickle charge and another that can charge a weak battery.

See them on this page

Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used both versions. For just battery maintenance, the old style, cheaper one is actually easier to use. There are no buttons to press, you just leave the transformer box plugged into the wall outlet and insert/remove the cigarette lighter plug as needed. The new one on the other hand requires that you press a button whenever you begin or end charging. The button press turns the unit on or off and selects a battery size, either car or motorcycle. Also, the instructions say to unplug the unit from the wall outlet when not in use. I have found that you don't need to do this. It works fine left plugged into the wall. The button pressing is no big deal, but the cheaper one is definitely easier to use. The only limitation with the cheaper one that I can see is that it will not charge a weak battery, its good only for maintenance.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered my maintainer from Sunset and should have it next week.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Maintainer - necessary?