Sponsored by:

Who makes the best cats??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
fletch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best cats??

If you were going to replace these with some higher flow units, which ones would you buy? I know dansk makes some, scargo, not sure who else?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Robert_H
Pro

I have heard that a company called "Random Technology" makes a nice product. Several of the people on the 928 board have used them and they are very high quality.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:11 PM
JeffES
Pro

Ah, perhaps the Sausalito, CA based "Genetic Savings and Clone"...
I understand that they made the cat "Little Nickey" for a Texas woman who paid some $50,000.
J

PS - in the off chance you mean "catalytic converters".... I'd only consider them for a pre '02 (non egas) Boxster. For real, measurable, consistant performance gains, you'll need to spend quite a bit of money. Better off to spend some $$ on Driver's Ed, or even better, PDE. That'll tune up the most important part of the Boxster.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Thanks for the input. I actually found the non-cloned type at Rooke Motorsports. Along wth headers this may work well.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 PM
JeffES
Pro

Are you aware that 2002 & later Boxster & S have headers, equal volume pipes, and quad cats??? Don't buy what you don't need. If anyone says those models don't have headers, then ask them to precisely define the term header... and then go look underneath the car. Look closely at the exhaust (either side) - you'll notice that the forward & rear pipes are shaped (crimped), while the center is not. This is done so that the exhaust gasses reach similar speeds as they "gather" before passing through the first cat.
Why?? If these gasses arrive at different speeds, a given "pulse" could actually block an incoming "pulse" of gasses from another cylinder (a column of gasses moving at one speed can block a similar column of gas moving at a slower speed). Thus the development of headers, which bring the gasses from different cylinders together at roughly the same velocity, thus improving flow. Pre '02 Boxsters did not have this... and I can't understand why.
Nice Boxster!! What wheels are those?? Very nice.
J
Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Default Interesting perspective.

Jeff, thanks. I recently read the 05 2.7 cars which have 240h.p. did so with intake, throttle body and ecu mods. I wonder if they changed the factory header set up or exhaust? Many claim to get power increases by changing to headers without the pre-cats and high flow cats along with ecu and intake changes. I certainly don't want to throw away money, but I also want to tweek a bit too. Thanks for the feedback.
P.S. the wheels are Enkei RC5's 18x8.5 &18x10.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:04 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say god, But i think Sony has something in the works
Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 AM
JeffES
Pro

You've heard correctly. The exhaust is pretty darn good. There was a good deal to do on the intake side, though.
This crops up bc exhaust work tends to be less $$ than intake, so many people start there. By switching exhausts, Porsche took that possibility away, but they (Porsche) did little to improve the intake side (leaves us something to do :-). Chipping alone doesn't do much either, but if you go with a better airflow on the intake side, a different program can feed in more fuel at the new, higher airflow. That'll work well, especially near WOT - plus, intake changes on a mid engine car sound kinda neat (IMHO). Good luck! Thanks for the info on the wheels
J
Old 01-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Fletcher
Racer

If I do the intake. I am really leaning towards the scargo unit but have only spoken to one gentleman who used it (but was quite happy). I believe his name is Hunpin @ unlimited laps. He did headers, TB, intake, ECU, in which he net 285bhp. The car was a 2001s. If I could get 250bhp I would be ecstatic. Need to get a baseline first though. I am also leaning towards RevoTechnik for ecu. Downloadable through the obd2 port and undetectable by the dealer.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 PM
JeffES
Pro

Makes sense - pre '02's have a great deal more "room to grow". Frankly, somewhere @ 250 peak Hp on a "base" Boxster is incredibly enternaining ( and will test the driving skills of the best). If you go higher than @ 250, you really should look into suspension upgrades as well. At those levels, the "lowly" Boxster approaches "supercar" performance & driving levels. What a wonderful machine the Boxster is.....
Good luck, and keep us posted on what you do!
J
PS - well above that (in the 275 + range) you may also have to look at fuel delivery enhancements
Old 01-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Fletcher
Racer

I have found another source as well for the 200 cell dual 02 sensor cats. Supersprint makes them.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best cats??