Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How rare are Boxster Sport Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How rare are Boxster Sport Seats?

I am looking for a Boxster for my wife to drive to work but I really want a car with sport option and Sport seats. M030 would be great. However, it appears I am searching for the holy grail. In 3 pages of Ebay there isnt one car (that I saw) that has sport seats. I know they MADE them that way. Am I just out of luck?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:46 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M030 and sports seats are not plentiful...I would think sport seats are to be found but M030 is relatively rare.....Good News?? both can be retrofitted, no sweat.

In my opinion M030, sport seats and PSM are 3 must haves.

My 550 SE has them all.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PSM being the stability control system? If so, not my cup of tea. BTW, I saw a 550 when they unloaded in Plano, TX. The leather in the interior is INCREDIBLE.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:04 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Well you can always turn it off....but you can't add it later. I can tell you, this system does NOT hamper spirited driving, but it will save your A** if you get red mist. I'm an avid AXer and do DEs, so I'm not shy...I do however, like an insurance policy.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Are there any of the 550s left for sale?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:51 AM
TrackMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by smshirk
Are there any of the 550s left for sale?
Not sure if there are any new ones still in inventory but there are at least 7 used ones available through dealers. Do a pre-owned search on the Porsche website.

Porsche US Pre-owned Search
Old 12-15-2004, 03:06 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dennis a from pa
Well you can always turn it off....but you can't add it later. I can tell you, this system does NOT hamper spirited driving, but it will save your A** if you get red mist. I'm an avid AXer and do DEs, so I'm not shy...I do however, like an insurance policy.
You can kinda turn it off but not all the way. It will still kick in. Drove a friends car and he had turned it off but I could still feel it kick in when I was driving on the track.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,
Seeing as the 996 and 986 have different seat rails as every 911 before it and the 944 series, the sport seats are actually alot more affordable then the 993 sport seats which look visually very similar. The guys with the new GT3s and GT2s are all looking to get rid of their sport seats (which came stock) because they are fitting them with ROW GT3 seats. You can pick up a set for not too much especially when you figure for how much you can get for boxster seats on ebay. For a point of reference I could have purchased a set of black leather sport seats that had only been sat in a handful of times for $800. This is a rarity, but I think for about 1K-1,500 you should be able to find a gorgeous set if you want to retrofit them. There is a very nice set in the 911 classifieds right now. Lurk on the GT2/GT3 board and search for seat threads, there are always looking to sell their seats so you can find one near you for a decent price. Good luck,
Old 12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

I turn PSM off all the time at AXs...and it never gives me the impression that it ever kicks in....When ABS is heavily used you may get some input, but then it resumes total off.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:00 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dennis a from pa
I turn PSM off all the time at AXs...and it never gives me the impression that it ever kicks in....When ABS is heavily used you may get some input, but then it resumes total off.
I felt it when I was coming out of a turn and trying to accelerate. That is when it kicked in. He said it was off but I didn't know what to look for.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Leeds Gulick
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It was either not turned off or you were experiencing ABD kicking in trying to limit wheel spin. ABD applies the brake to one tire that is trying to spin under acceleration but will not keep both tires from spinning.

There's a light in the instrument cluster when PSM has been disabled. When PSM is turned off it can temporarily turn itself back on under braking.

Leeds
Old 12-16-2004, 06:05 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I agree with leeds et al--PSM is off when it's off--take a car on a wet skidpad, turn off PSM and watch the tail end go everywhere--press PSM on after a few runs and you will ABSOLUTELY notice the difference--after throwing Permanent-PSM cars around at the Porsche Driving Experience, I can agree with Dennis that unless you are absolutely about to lose control the car won't utilize the PSM.

The only time [ONCE in about 50 laps total] that I ever activated the PSM on the track was when I took a blind hill/slight right turn and put the inside rear wheel completely in the air--it shuttered for a quarter of a second, then it went off again. At no other time during the entire 2 day episode of driving the ***** off the 996 did I ever experience PSM activating.

I was not a believer until I took that course--PSM really is a great, unintrusive system. And it's always good to have an extra shoulder looking over you if things get too hairy

Quick Reply: How rare are Boxster Sport Seats?