Sponsored by:

Air sensors, how critical??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:00 AM
HBacura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air sensors, how critical??

I noticed that my check engine light came on yesterday, so I had my local shop take a look at it. They told me the light is coming on due to 4 air sensors have gone bad, costing about $935.00 to fix. My question is, are these sensors critical to have repaired right away, and is this something very difficult to DIY?

Thanks in advanced for your help.
HB
Old 12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
JeffES
Pro

Hmm. All 4 O2 sensors failed at the same time??? There are 2 sensors, one in front of the forward cat and one after the forward cat on each exhaust. If all 4 failed, something had to impact both exhaust systems (one for each bank of the motor) - and that's what needs fixing first.

One of the techs here can give you more info, but this sounds like a very shakey diagnosis. You may wish to check "rennteam" as well.

Good luck,
J
Old 12-08-2004, 09:59 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally Posted by JeffES
Hmm. All 4 O2 sensors failed at the same time??? There are 2 sensors, one in front of the forward cat and one after the forward cat on each exhaust. If all 4 failed, something had to impact both exhaust systems (one for each bank of the motor) - and that's what needs fixing first.

One of the techs here can give you more info, but this sounds like a very shakey diagnosis. You may wish to check "rennteam" as well.

Good luck,
J

Thank you for your help, do you by chance have a name of a good shop in NOVA?
Old 12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

I am just reasoning here from what I have learned so if a tech knows more please jump in and correct me. Your O2 sensors tell the OBD2 to lean or richen the mixture based on how much O2 is left at the sensor. I assume the second set checks the function of the cat since remaining hydrocarbons are burned in the cat and this requires O2. I work on people not cars so I am just reasoning here but it seems that if all four truely went bad at the same time you would have had to "caused" it by fuel with an additive that gummed them up or leaded fuel. I doubt age would cause all four to go at the same time. As to your question about this being something critical to fix, if your sensors are gummed up or bad, they may be telling lies so to speak to the OBD2. Not so critical if the lies cause a rich situation since you will only spend more on fuel but very critical if it causes a lean setting which can burn valves and pistons.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
JeffES
Pro

Check with Intersport ... it's in Vienna.
Still under warranty, so I still visit the dealer.
Let us know how it works out,
OK??
J
Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Vespa Dude
2nd Gear

All four 02 sensors bad , no way! Have them ck MAF sensor or for hole in bellows tube. Good luck!!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
HBacura
Racer

Thank you everyone. I will be getting in contact with Intersport this week.

Quick Reply: Air sensors, how critical??