Sponsored by:

RMS twice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Pwilliams
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry RMS twice

I just had my '02 Boxster in for a 15K service @ my dealer. The car had had the RMS replaced @ 9K mi and had not dropped a drop of oil until the day after the service @ 24K mi. I took it back to the dealer who then infomed me that it was the RMS again. (I would think they would have noticed during the service) The RMS was replaced, then I got a call that the engine had a broken intermediate shaft and that coolant was in the oil? all within 150 mi of the service. Aparantley when the mechanic but it back together from changing the RMS something became misaligned between the crank and the intermediate shaft and it was out of time when they started the car. They decided to replace the motor right away without any further questions. They have replaced the motor with a Porsche reman crate motor. I think they screwed it up, and porsche is taking care of the problem.

Does anyone else have replacement engines, or had any thing like this happen to them?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:57 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwilliams
IDoes anyone else have replacement engines, or had any thing like this happen to them?
Yep. the engine in my 996 was replaced due to a RMS failure.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the record holder is one of our local Boxster owners, Jean, with a 2000 2.7.

He had 3 main seals and 2 intermediate shaft seals replaced while in warranty. The 3rd seal leaked just after the warranty expired and a 4th seal was put in, which leaked as well.

Then Porsche oked a rebuilt motor. That was put in but had a vibration problem. 2nd rebuilt replacement motor put in and the same problem. 3rd rebuilt put in and the same problem.

Then Porsche oked a new engine, but the only new one they had was for a tip and Jean has a manual transmission. Peter at our dealer rewired the engine. It was put in last month and so far so go.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeeeeze!! You guys are scaring me...
Old 12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I think the record holder is one of our local Boxster owners, Jean, with a 2000 2.7.

He had 3 main seals and 2 intermediate shaft seals replaced while in warranty. The 3rd seal leaked just after the warranty expired and a 4th seal was put in, which leaked as well.

Then Porsche oked a rebuilt motor. That was put in but had a vibration problem. 2nd rebuilt replacement motor put in and the same problem. 3rd rebuilt put in and the same problem.

Then Porsche oked a new engine, but the only new one they had was for a tip and Jean has a manual transmission. Peter at our dealer rewired the engine. It was put in last month and so far so go.
OMG. I'ld heard of a fer RMS problems on 986 band 996 models but that one tops all. No wonder resale on these models appears to be dropping more quickly than what appears normal. I may be able to buy my Boxster S sooner than planned, but can I afford the out of warrenty repairs?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the RMS twice and the ISS once. One more time and I get a new engine.

Quick Reply: RMS twice