Boxsters for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 04:22 PM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxsters for winter?

Hello,
Anyone use their Boxsters for winter? And I don't mean those Vancouver/Seatle stuff. I'm talking snow and ice. I'm afraid of the canvas top.

Also, can anybody recommend any good websites on Boxster buying guide? I'm looking for 2000+ models.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Officer Cartman
AutoX

I've been doing it for the past 3 winters.. Get some good snow tires.. My roof has seen better days, but it's 6 years old and sits out in the sun, can't really attribute it to the snow.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:57 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 01, I yank the P-Zeros on 17 inch wheels, and put on Pilot Alpins on 16 inch wheels.

I also install a hardtop.

I've passed stuck SUVs, what a blast!

I don't drive it in more than 6 to 8 inches of snow as the air intakes like to jam up with snow.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:16 PM
delhi
Racer

How much is a hardtop? How's the heater system since unlike front mounted engine, hot air can be drawn from the engine.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my hardtop used off of eBay. I think they can be found for around $2k and under. This is my first winter with the hardtop, but so far having a solid roof with a glass rear window (with working defrost) is terrific.

The climate control works great...another plus of any modern Porsche. I also have the heated seats...a nice plus for winter driving (or even just top down driving on cooler days).

Like others are suggesting, get a set of winter wheels/tires. With the weight of the engine right over the drive wheels, excellent balance, and modern "safety" features (like ABS and TC or PSM), this car can handle just about any condition ('cept for really deep snow!).

The only excuse for NOT driving your Boxster in the winter is "the other driver". But nothing can help that...

Last edited by Doug&Julie; 11-29-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same for me, acquired the hardtop on ebay here (going rate about 1000 Euro (1300$) here).

The car is very nice with the hard top - clear windows, more headroom, less noise and looks cool.

Driving on a set of 16 inch wheels with winter tyres - whch I suspect are getting a little old - is fun if I remember to switch the traction control off. It's totally safe with the TC on.

My problem is the other drvier keeps opting for the boxster rather than the XC 90 for the short runs..
Old 11-29-2004, 04:29 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

It is my only winter car - I mount Snows on my 996, but always seem to drive my Boxster during the snowy months, It is truly like a go cart. awesome, see for yourself.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:45 PM
JeffES
Pro

Boxsters are great in poor weather! Just make sure you put on good snow/winter tires, and enjoy!
J
Old 12-05-2004, 12:44 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,

A friend's Boxster on the way to a ski resort last year..

We've used it a lot over the ski season here in Switzerland, and it seems to do pretty well. It has PSM which seems to help quite a bit, and we've had to put the snow chains on a few times, but otherwise it's fine - even with M030 suspension

Dave.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:01 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah! There goes a sportsman. Too bad the machine becomes a point A-to-B vehicle in that stuff, but in this case the destination makes up for it.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,

Yeah, we had to abandon the Mini I was in a bit further up - the Boxster made it though

We took out a 2005 Boxster S for a test drive yesterday - v. nice, but my friend was rather disappointed to hear there's no provision for a roofrack on the new model... Guess we'll be taking mine then.

Dave.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:04 PM
mucor
Track Day

They do great in snow but only with snow tires. Forget it if you have summer only tires, I tried that and got into a wreck and bought winter tires since. It's the only way to go. Pretty reasonable if you find them used, usually on ebay.
Like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Alienz
Intermediate

Does anyone have any rust due to salt?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienz
No. (Not yet anyway ) Throughout the winter, I regularly stop at the car washes where you pull into a bay and wash the car with a hose and brush. Even if I don't go to the extent of brushing it all off, I get the soapy spray hose and get in all the nooks and crannies and give them a good thorough cleaning. You'd be surprised at how much this helps. Then, of course, when I have time and the weather clears, it gets another thorough cleaning all over.

I've only owned my Boxster for just under two years, but I did the same thing with my 944, which I owned for five years, put 150k miles on it, and drove it all year long. It never rusted and looked great when I sold it. I can't imagine with all the Boxster's plastic parts it would have problems...as long as you keep on top of regular cleanings!

Old 12-08-2004, 07:37 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienz
My 01 has seen 3 winters, no sign of rust. But I recommend that you buy Tweeks clip on mud flaps or the paint will get sand blasted on your front and rear fender lips.

Quick Reply: Boxsters for winter?