Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Thinking of few upgrades/updates for 2003 986S

5mm wheel spacers
RoW 030 suspension
Short shift kit
Sport exhaust
F/R Strut braces
Hard top
Need opinions/suggestions from owners than did any of the above. I like the look of the 550 Boxster S with the spacers and 18"carrera wheels. The short shifter felt pretty good. My car too quiet without the sport exhaust. I've seen front strut brace from Ruf, any info/opinion. Who makes a rear strut tower brace? I need a speed yellow hardtop, where can I get one at a good price?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:48 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

strut braces are redundant with the 030 suspension

the hardtop is a pain in the *** to put on, forget it, unless you are going to leave it on all year, its not worth it.

short shift, sport exhuast, 030 are all GREAT mods turns the boxster into an even better car (if thats possible).

5 MM wheel spaces, you won't notice too much of a difference in terms of looks or performance.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:14 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

If you're going to drive the car in winter - get the hard top.
Hard top was easy to fit ( I'll post the story soon) and it makes the interior bigger and lighter.
The only problem with the hard top is what do you do with it when it is off. Storage is a problem.

For the rest of the mods I need to ask what are you trying to achieve. Are you thinking of a track car?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Irishdriver: Its going to be a street car with occasional autocrossing/drivers ed. By the way your SY looks great with the hardtop. I would probably get the trolley to store top or that device to hang it from garage ceiling.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:15 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a HT and it is NOT a "pain" to put on or take off. I do it myself with the hoist (sort of slow) or my wife helps (very quick). Car looks good and becomes more quiet...

I have ROW M030, 5mm spacers, sport seats and PSE on my 550 SE and it is by far the best Boxster I have owned. Strut braces are of no use.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:07 PM
ettsn
Pro

I'll add that I love my hardtop. Totally transforms the car for the wintertime. And I use the factory wall rack to hold it. Works perfectly and it simply hangs nicely on my garage wall.

-Paul
Old 11-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

OK, given that it is to be a street car you don't want to make it too hard.
The favorite here for slaloms (autocrossing) is the PSS-9 adjustable suspension kit by Bilstein for Boxsters because it allows adjustment of ride height and damping. I haven't got that far yet.

In fact I plan to drive my 2.7 next year just as it is. The handling is so much better than my 964 I think it will be fun as it is. However if I'm up against prepared cars PSS9 might be invoked.
For strut braces I'll ask Alois Ruf. I'm not allowed run 18" wheels so I'll stay standard there.

There are often Boxster S suspension sets on e-bay here as the owners have upgraded but I'm not sure if the S will give me anything other than a lower car.

The short shift kit is supposed to be wonderful and you can get it from Porsche for an unreasonable amount of money. Why didn't they just do it that way from the start?

The one thing I think I will do soon is retrofit Litronic lights. I drove a 987 last week (nice car that!) with them and they were so good that I was sure there was something wrong with my car when I got back into it.

P.S. I bought the hard top here on e-bay for 950 Euro last week (1200$?)
Old 11-01-2004, 10:24 PM
ettsn
Pro

Skip the "official" short shifter. The B&M is mechanically identical for half the money. (I think either B&M makes it for Porsche, or PAG nicked the design completely!)

-Paul
Old 11-03-2004, 07:50 PM
JP-"S"
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a complete list of those mods on my car

3x Black 2000 S
stock 18" twist style rims
Hard top = Love it here in the Midwest easy 3 min on or off if you have someone else help.
B&M short throw= MUCH MUCH better then stock. Purchased from Brandywine Porsche $200 bucks.
Clear tail and corner light = $250 like the look a lot. Also purchased from Brandywine
Eibach Spring= LOOKS AWSOME and drives even better lowered 1.2" around
Wheel Spacers 15mm rear 8mm front = Aesthetics only
EVO high flow intake= Like the sound and has much more pull in higher RPM's
(Previously I had a K&N with a DE-SNORK and it was ok but I do enjoy this more)

Quick Reply: Thinking of few upgrades/updates for 2003 986S