Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 03:07 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
No, this will just be a fun car.
it will definitely be tracked....but I'm sure that I won't feel like trading paint.

Stacey
OK, understandable. So what do you race in SCCA? Is it as "adventurous" as I hear? ... I guess you wouldn't know what I hear. So... A buddy of mine who races with NASA was interviewed before getting his license:

NASA Official: "So, what do you do when there is contact between you and another car on the tracK?"
My Buddy (licensed under 2 13/13 clubs): "Come in, have the car checked out, see the steward."
NASA Official: "Huh? No, no, no. If the car is still roll'n keep racing. If not wait for safety crew to come give you a tow."

And, what I hear is that the SCCA is a little more liberal about contact.

I wouldn't want to race my Boxster under those conditions either. It makes it easier to slide down that slippery slope knowing there will be repercussions for having contact on track.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:19 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a family team with 3 cars.
A 1984 Porsche 944 and two Dodge SRT-4's. My father drives the Porsche in ITS (Regional). I drive one of the Dodge SRT-4's in T2 (Regional), and my brother drives the other SRT-4 in ITE (Regional) and the T2 SRT-4 in Nationals.

It's a ton of fun....and yes adventurous. I've made contact in races a few times. It usually sounds a lot worse then it is. I usually have our crew chief who is on the radio with me look for damage/rubbing/etc. If all is good and the car feels ok...then I'll stay out.

Check it out at http://www.snyder-motorsports.com

Regards,
Stacey
Old 10-14-2004, 04:42 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
... I've made contact in races a few times. It usually sounds a lot worse then it is. ...
I'm learning this. I connected with the wall at Phoenix a few weeks ago. Sounded and felt like the entire passenger side had caved in. I was surprised (and extremely happy) that it was just this:

Old 10-14-2004, 05:37 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

I'm getting a page cannot be displayed error for that link.

I think that i'd rather make contact with a car than a wall. At least the other car is moving at somewhat the speed you are. the wall is motionless.
looking forward to seeing that picture.

Stacey
Old 10-14-2004, 05:47 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, John D. is helping get my Gallery setup. Once that's done I'll repost the link.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike,
Racing in NASA is not that wild and crazy. We don't allow contact in NASA, but also don't have a 13/13. So that means if there is contact talk to the race director about it and it will be investiaged, but you need not pull off track unless you think your car is unsafe. There was a case of car to car contact at the NASA event the same weekend you were at PIR. It was acted on swiftly by the officials. One driver was removed from the organization and the other was allowed to race the next day after high car was repaired.

Nice thing about NOT having a 13/13 is that minor incidents don't end your weekend. I was off at Willow Springs last July. I make an error on my 2nd qualfying lap and went off at turn 9. I went straight off till I hit a berm. I had to have the car towed back to the pit. I replaced the front control arm and fix the car to make it safe albiet not pretty since it wass missing 3/4 of the front spoiler. My one lap was enough to get me 2nd on the 944-spec grid and make that afternoon's race and won it and the next day's race too. If there had been a 13/13 rule I bet I would have had to go home and that would have just sucked even worse than the easily repaired damage.

Your incident at PIR with NASA would have been not a big deal. Assuming the car was still safely drivable you would have still been able to partcipate. We spoke breifly, but I could tell the incident dulled your sprit some. Had you been allowed to continue that crappy feeling could have turned toward working the car to make safe to run and fixing the on track error that cause it. Instead you were left with little do than to feel crappy and head home.

Do something stupid and take out another car and expect consequences however. NASA does not let that stuff slide.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:19 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

I'd never heard that contact was not allowed in NASA.
I'd say it happens every race or so in SCCA. I guess I just assumed that contact was part of racing.....providing that it's not done in a purposful way.

Here's a picture I took of a Caddy from the SCCA runoffs in T2. He made contact with Toby Grahovic in another SRT-4 and spun off, rolled 3 times and landed upside down on a concrete barrier. He walked out.

Stacey
Old 10-14-2004, 08:21 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey M758,

Didn't mean to sound like I was slamming NASA. I like NASA and DE with them when time and money permit. I haven't tried to get my race license with them partly because I have enough to do with POC and PCA, and partly because I have seen some of the cars those guys put on the track (scary).

When the Box finally goes over the edge and becomes a track-only car, or if I end up getting a track-only car, I'll probably start racing with both NASA and SCCA. For the moment I'm fine with POC and PCA.

As for PIR: Yeah, I was pretty bummed to drive the 6 hours out there for only 2 run sessions. But I knew the rules before going. And I knew the rules before blasting into T10. Even though I now have a 13/13 I'm still not convinced 13/13 racing is bad. I see your point, but would it have been a wise idea for me to get back out onto the track? Dunno.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

What is 13/13 racing?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:27 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you cause a 13/13 incedent you are on 13 month probation, if you cause another one in those 13 months you are suspended for 13 months. A 13/13 incedent can be car-to-car, or in my case, car-to-obstacle (pretty much anything that causes damage).

Sounds over-restrictive, but I've heard of some incedents being chalked up as "racing incedents" and neither driver getting a 13/13 from it. So it can be really subjective in its interpretation.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:22 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, got my gallery working...

Old 10-15-2004, 02:20 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Ouch!
Are you having it fixed? What's the repair bill look like?
Tires look like Kumho Ecsta V700's? How do they work on the Boxster? Have you run any other tires like the Hoosier or the Avons?

Nothing like towing a Porsche race car around with a Range Rover huh?

Stacey
Old 10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm getting it fixed. I'm doing as much as I can myself to save some $$. But the rear quarter panel is going to have to be professionally done. So, not sure what it's going to total at the moment. The good news is that it's all cosmetic. I can still drive the car on the street and at events.

Tires on the car in this pic are Toyo RA-1's -- track tires. Tires on the rack are Kuhmo Extsa MX's -- street tires. Until I get a second set of race wheels I like to bring the street tires "just in case". I've got Yoko A032R's on for track now and they seem very comparable to the Toyo's.

I am trying to stay away from Hoosiers for the time being. They are twice the price and will give me half the life and I know once I put them on I am gonig to want to stick with them. Plus I know a lot of people who are having issues with the S04. So I'll wait for a while before going down that slope.

I haven't tried Avon, have you? A buddy of mine was asking about them a while ago. But no one had had any experience with them. What do you run on your cars?

The Range Rover isn't the greatest tow vehicle, but it's a great off-roader. Someday I'll have a dedicated tow rig and the Rangie for off-roading. But for now it has to pull double duty.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:05 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Good to hear that it's only cosmetic and that you can still drive the car.
Ahh, the RA-1's. the official tire of speed world challenge. We've used 1 set of those on our SRT-4 and saw very good results. We also used them on a Honda Civic that we drove during a speed world challenge touring car race at Infineon earlier this year. My brother ended up finishing 18th in that race.

We have typically always run Kumho tires (Ecsta V700's). they are a pretty good tire for the money and with having 3 cars, the the price of tires is pretty high. The Porsche is so much better on tires than the two SRT-4's. It's much more balanced but yet doesn't have all that much power. We desinigrate tires in the SRT-4's. Being front wheel drive with as much power/torque as we're pushing out of them (260-280 in the T2 car and about 320 in the ITE car). We talked to a lot of people at the runoffs and they had heard very good things about the Avon. Being about as close to a Hoosier as you can get. We bought a set of the 225/45/17 Avons and had them mounted up. When we bolted them on they wouldn't turn because they were hitting the bottom of the strut perch. Turns out that they were about 1/2 inch taller than the Kumho's in the same size. We then decided to go with the Hoosiers for the race. The first words out of my brothers mouth after his qualifying run was "Now that's a race tire". I believe that we'll probably be stuck on Hoosier's for racing only from now on. We'll stick with Kumho for qualifying.

So regarding the Avon..i've heard they are really good...but I'd be careful about the sizing...

Was just in San Diego last weekend for the first time for my 2 year wedding anniversary. Great place. Tried to go kite boarding but couldn't find anyone on last minutes notice to give us a lesson. Water was tad cold though....
Old 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

A lot of people I know run a Toyo, Yoko, or Kuhmo as a practice/qualifying tire and save their Hoosiers for the race. I would think I need at least three sets of race wheels in order to get the absolute most out of a set of Hoosiers. Two sets with Hoosiers (run 'em till the cord) and one set with Toyo's or something.

Quick Reply: Porsche Neopyhte - Just put down my deposit on a new Boxster