Sponsored by:

Is 6'2" too tall for a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is 6'2" too tall for a Boxster?

How do some of you taller guys like the Boxster's size?
Any clue if the 987 Boxster will have any additional room?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about this -- I have posted my opinion on this subject before. If you are planning on any long trips, then anything over six feet is too tall. You will have too much sitting height, too lttle leg room, or both. A used 996 would provide more touring comfort. As far as use as a track car, anyone over 5'8" will require a roll bar extension to pass the broom stick test.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'2" and fit just fine. However, any taller and I'd want to make modifications. Adding GT3 seats will increase headroom by a couple of inches.

I drove my friend's 2001 Boxster S with hardtop recently on the track...still had plenty of room with my helmet on.

That said, the 987 WILL have more headroom for taller guys. Three key 987 changes to accomodate tall drivers:
-the seats sit 20mm lower
-the steering wheel telescopes
-the pedals are farther in
Old 09-15-2004, 05:25 PM
HBacura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'1 and I've taken trips from home (Richmond, VA) to VA Beach (1 1/2 hour) drive. From home to Baltimore, MD (2 hour drive) and from ATL GA, (where I bought the car) to Richmond (8+ hours). I had no comfort problems. I think having the seat adjusted to the lower setting, and sliding it as far back as possible with minimum seat tilt might have something to do with that.

I must say...I really enjoy the ride
Old 09-15-2004, 06:16 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

I drove a Boxster for about 1/2 an hour without any problems and was quite comfortable. I'm 6'6".
Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I'm 6' 1" at 240lbs - longest trip 45 miles in a 2001 Boxster S my father recently bought. Regular non power seats, as much head room as my 928. The 928 has more leg room and a larger dead pedal. Other than that, zero issues except my head does hit the roll bar, not the headrest. Since it's padded, not that big of a deal.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My perspective is based purely on long trips -- from here (maryland) to Orlando/Tampa and return. Two trips in the old 911 (sport seats) and two trips in the Boxster S. 911 is more comfortable - perhaps its that to me sport seats are way more comfortable then the stock Boxster seats. At 5'10"/185 my seat is almost all the way back, my right knee hits the console, and the head rest is even with the roll bar. My wife at 6' has the head rest rubbing against the windstop in the roll bar hoop so that it squeaks. I have had the opportunity to check out all manner of Porsches on the track and the space is not an issue, although if there were a knee bar under the dash it would be an unsafe condition.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:29 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the car. As a strictly street car it should be fine. Stock seat are comfortable enough. I'm 6'3" and drove mine all over southern cal for hours when I first got it.

However, if you want to track the car (DE/CR) you will need to do some trickery to get the legal amount of clearance (2" for most clubs). I got it, but it took some work.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 6'4" (used to be able to dunk!) and 185 lbs. I've had my '99 Boxster with standard seats since February. My longest road trip was to the Outer Banks of NC (300 miles each way). I made two short stops in each direction and was never uncomfortable.

I have the seat all the way down and back.

The car is not as comfy as my 944, but no complaints from this tall guy.

Mark
Old 09-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Elusive - as you can see opinions differ. I'm only 5"10 so I had no issues with my Box S. One thing to consider is "how" you are tall. If you have long legs then the Boxster is no problem. If you are tall from the waist up then it might be closer. If you have a machine shop nearby you can modify the seats to lower them about an inch. Changing to a different seat like the Recaro can do the same thing and provide more support as well. Best is to go to the dealer and try one!

Alan Herod; The broomstick rule is disappearing from most regions. Most of the North East is happy to accept Porche's declaration that the car is as safe as a coupe in a roll over.

The big caveat is that you do not wear a harness. If you do, in a roll over your head maybe held in place higher than the roll hoops if you are tall or long in the torso. Wearing a three point OEM belt you can and will bend out of the way. So with a harness, make sure you pass the broomstick test. Without - no problem in our region (Rennsport).
Regards,
Old 09-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Elusive:

Of course, the best thing to do is get in one and take a drive! When looking to purchase my car, I had about a twenty-minute drive to the shop where I had the pre-purchase inspection done. The drive up and back gave me a pretty good idea of how I would fit in the car.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

I think it all depends on how you're built. I'm 6'6" and 260lb. I have a 38" inseam. I fit fine in a Boxster. I've had our demos on long trips of 4 or 5 hours, and I can get out of the car after that time with no cramps or discomfort. Admitted, there's no graceful way for me to get in and out of the car, and an extra couple of inches in legroom would be nice, but I don;t find it uncomfortable at all.

As for the 987, it will have tilt steering and better reach adjustment on the steering wheel. That will help. And it will feature the same seats in the 997. Having spent time in a 997, I cna say that the new seats do let you sit a little lower in the car. I had far more room in a 997 than the 996, including when I wear a helmet. So if I was to guess, I'd say the 987 is going to be a lot more comfortable.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am 6'1" and have driven from the "DC Area" to "Woodstock NY" and back, no problems with the seats or the room.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:39 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.
My friend pointed be towards the Rennlist. Seems very helpful.

Regards,
Stacey (ELUSIVE)
Old 09-23-2004, 12:39 AM
BrianPA
Racer

As was already mentioned you can install GT3 seats or do mods to lower the stock seats. I believe there is even an option available that lowers the seats by 20mm but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Is 6'2" too tall for a Boxster?