Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are porsches just not selling right now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:57 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been trying to sell for six months, the market is flat.
I also know two other people that have been trying almost as long.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:05 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, great time to buy a NEW Boxster, and thus maybe why the used Boxster market is a little flat right now.

I recevied a killer deal on my Boxster that was purchased last month.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Jim bailey - 928 International
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lease returns are killing resale values since the leasing companies when the lessee opts not to buyout the car at lease end has only one option sell it at WHOLESALE auction each and every month. Once prices turn down fewer and fewer opt to buy out at the now too high residual value and the downward spiral continues. The % of Porsche cars leased went from 10% several years ago to about 50% . Porsche leasing now "owns " hundreds of millions of dollars of used cars. The leasing companies screwed up on the residual values (too keep payments low) and now are poised to lose MILLIONS. Not only Boxsters but 996s and Cayennes (repossesions) are rolling through the auctions.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Agree with Jim

Very short sited strategy of all automakers inflating residuals ( think crop subsidies) to keep sales going. Market flooded with used lease vehicles which were "sold" at a reasonable profit instead of taking the discount up front and showing less profit by PAG. Notably worse down the road for the Marque though. Hurts perceived value and makes owners less loyal when they are eviscerated by resale loss.
Profit /loss spreadsheets look good and the board looks good. The residual is usually 44-53 % at three years. This number usually stays around the same for a given brand with a strong model line. Think BMW and Mercedes. Traditionally this number changes when brands cross market niches Think VW Phaeton or Mercedes Minivan (ML something). Or Porsche Boxster. It was predicted (not by me - only restating) that today's Boxster is tomorrow's 914.

Thank the great deals today for the used car market slowing until the prices re-adjust. For the right price I will buy a 2001 S with low mile and the right options. Everyone high-fiving today's deals will lament tomorrow's resale value especially after the redesigned Boxster and boxster coupe/ coupeS appear. Then the value will really fall.
Low lease payments sells cars but then all of those cars have to be processed on the used car side. Traditionally Porsche delaers have charged a premium but even that has faded on Boxsters. People will eventually blame the car and its reputation will slide. Hence the disbaraging 914 comment. Also remember it is September- all convertibles slow in Aug and Sept.

Lastly as my brother in real estate tells me Everything sells at the right price.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:30 PM
fahren affair
Pro

i've been trying to sell a '00 996 for the last 3-mos. on the 'trader. i'd go mid-30s on the car, and still no takers...yeah, i'd say the market is flat!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:08 PM
jhjax
7th Gear

Send me the details. I'm in the market and was looking for a Boxster S in that same price range.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:41 PM
techlogik
Intermediate

I'm in the market for a '01 Boxster. Really looking for the S with dark blue and Tan interior. Looking to spend no more than low 30s.

00' 996 for mid 30s? List details and photos...Might be interested in that too.

Yes, there are alot of 01s right now flooding the market from what I have seen.

Good for buyers like me I guess. Looking for private owner though who has given TLC. I live in Florida by the way.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 08:23 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fahren affair
i've been trying to sell a '00 996 for the last 3-mos. on the 'trader. i'd go mid-30s on the car, and still no takers...yeah, i'd say the market is flat!
Wholly crap thats cheap!
Old 09-09-2004, 01:00 AM
pologuy
Racer

WOW,

I just looked at 2001 Boxsters on ebay tonight again and there are SEVERAL that are still on there from a month ago and relisted 3-4 times because no one is buying them.....
Old 09-09-2004, 09:05 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,255 Posts

FWIW my father started shopping for a Boxster in April, he found one he liked last week. My father had the additude there are so many out there for sale, a buyer can be very picky. He picked up an 01 Boxster S with every option he would have picked if he bought one new. After 6 months of shopping, one road trip to PA and a couple of runs to Twin Cities, this was the first one that met his criteria.

I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the rest of the cars he looked at, just not exactly what he wanted. If the Boxster market is anything like the 928 market, the auto's seam to be less popular. A few of the dealers he talked to said they are starting to stay away from used automatic Boxster's, not selling as well.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:35 PM
JonM..
Instructor

It's just porsche's either, used cars in general are almost impossible to sell right now for a lot of reasons. Some very funny opinions on this thread though, very entertaining theories.

Quick Reply: Are porsches just not selling right now?