Sponsored by:

coolant system bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:36 AM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default coolant system bleeding?

Do you have to worry about bleeding the coolant systems on the boxter when replacing the coolant? I am going to try the burping suggestions. I believe that the car may have overheated prior to me getting it. I suspect not because the cool reservoir is above the radiators so if I just pop that little burping apparatus on the top of the two filler necks area, I should be alright. I will do it as suggested several times over the period of a few minutes. If I am wrong, please correct me. How does the procedure vary for manual versus tiptronics?

Thanks!

Last edited by fst951; 06-30-2004 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to rev the car in surges while that thing is lifted up.

With a tip I think you need the PST2 to open a valve, but I would have to check the shop manual to be sure.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommed useing a vaccume fill device. I purchased one for the rebuild I am doing,non-porsche, since my radiator is some distance away and the system is fairly complex. I dont need that headache on initial start up. Check e-bay or your friendly tool truck. Price about 100 but worth it IMHO. I too am curious about and valveing that might not be overcome by a vaccume fill. on the boxster. On the subject some what has anyone come out with and blue silicone quality hoses for the cooling system? comming up on five years soon and like to avoid roadside repairs.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:58 PM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Toolpants,

Why is it different on a tiptronic car than a manual transmission car? I assume that you want it in the air in order to not put such a load on the transmission, but can't you just put it in neutral?

I am curious to see your site and see what you have posted.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no site and have not posted about a cooling system air bleed with a tip.

On a normal car the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by the coolant. That is why you see transmission lines going to the front radiator on a normal front engine car. Not so on a Boxster. But this is so on a 996 with its own radiator in the front.

There is a small heat exchanger/radiator on the top of a tip to cool the fluid. Engine coolant is used. There is a valve for the coolant flow.

I just looked at the workshop manual and my memory is still good. You need the PST2 to open the coolant valve. Or, it says, you remove fuse B1 with the ignition switched off. This is the fuse for the tip. The coolant valve will then be open.

You cannot properly bleed a cooling system of air when part of the circuit is closed.

No cooler with a manual transmission.

Hope this helps. Jeff
Old 06-16-2021, 03:47 PM
Alan David
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Add to coolant

Originally Posted by fst951
Hi Toolpants,

Why is it different on a tiptronic car than a manual transmission car? I assume that you want it in the air in order to not put such a load on the transmission, but can't you just put it in neutral?

I am curious to see your site and see what you have posted.

Thanks!
can koolant additive like super cool be added to the mix? I had a motor home where it cooled an extra 20 degrees when added in
Even on hot hot days

Last edited by Alan David; 06-16-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: coolant system bleeding?