Sponsored by:

Immobilizer part number differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 09:18 AM
bdr986
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Immobilizer part number differences

Hello! First time ever posting in this forum (or any forum for that matter).
I have a pretty major problem with my 1997 986. During a recent rainstorm the cabin flooded and my M534 alarm control module flooded. I managed to get it working again once after scrubbing it with isopropyl but after one successful startup it never worked again. I've researched this topic enough to know that it's possible to swap EEPROM's by soldering it to a replacement board and it should then work without needing any programming (as long as the EEPROM is in okay condition). Is this correct?

The thing that is confusing me are the different part numbers of the same alarm control unit. Are these interchangeable? The one in my car is part number 996 618 260 00. Is it okay if I order part number 996 618 260 02? Would it work if I swapped the EEPROM's with mine? If I were to order the part with exactly the same part number as mine it would cost 3x more than the one with 02 at the end.

Can anybody help me with this information? What are the differences between the different part numbers of the same unit?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:18 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by bdr986
Hello! First time ever posting in this forum (or any forum for that matter).
I have a pretty major problem with my 1997 986. During a recent rainstorm the cabin flooded and my M534 alarm control module flooded. I managed to get it working again once after scrubbing it with isopropyl but after one successful startup it never worked again. I've researched this topic enough to know that it's possible to swap EEPROM's by soldering it to a replacement board and it should then work without needing any programming (as long as the EEPROM is in okay condition). Is this correct?

The thing that is confusing me are the different part numbers of the same alarm control unit. Are these interchangeable? The one in my car is part number 996 618 260 00. Is it okay if I order part number 996 618 260 02? Would it work if I swapped the EEPROM's with mine? If I were to order the part with exactly the same part number as mine it would cost 3x more than the one with 02 at the end.

Can anybody help me with this information? What are the differences between the different part numbers of the same unit?

Thank you very much in advance.
Unless you have an advanced knowledge of the mapping of the updated board, I would recommend buying another M534 immobilizer. Still, this could be a fool's errand. Based on what I've seen, when these modules get flooded and then shorted out from powering up the car, not many options left other than full replacement and programming at the dealerships or sending it to ECU doctors. Why on earth they put the immobilizer module under the seat instead of somewhere higher on the car is beyond me. So many people have been in your shoes it's crazy.

Old 06-25-2024, 05:07 PM
bdr986
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Unless you have an advanced knowledge of the mapping of the updated board, I would recommend buying another M534 immobilizer. Still, this could be a fool's errand. Based on what I've seen, when these modules get flooded and then shorted out from powering up the car, not many options left other than full replacement and programming at the dealerships or sending it to ECU doctors. Why on earth they put the immobilizer module under the seat instead of somewhere higher on the car is beyond me. So many people have been in your shoes it's crazy.
Correct me if I’m wrong but 996 618 260 02 is also an M534. That’s what is confusing me. I know which one the EEPROM chip is so swapping it to a new board shouldn’t be too hard. I just want to know if I can put the EEPROM from a 996 618 260 00 to a 996 618 260 02

Quick Reply: Immobilizer part number differences