ABS light on after changing hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 06:47 PM
tomsherwood
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on after changing hubs

Hello!

I recently switched the rear hubs on my 1998 2.5L Boxster for some from a 1999 2.5L Boxster.

I now have an ABS light on my dashboard… are there any differences between the two?

What could be the problem?
Old 04-09-2024, 12:15 AM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

No difference of any significance between those years/parts. Diagnosis may depend on when the ABS light comes on. Check the wheel speed sensors; that they're inserted and mounted correctly, plugged in to the wiring harness correctly, etc.

At one point I got the ABS light (and ABS not working) and eventually traced it down to bad section of (or short in) the wiring harness segment leading to the wheel speed sensor connector. Figured it out by spinning the wheel by hand and wiggling the wiring to make the ABS light come on -- revealing which corner had the problem. I had to get a replacement ABS harness and splice it in near the battery. The wiring is 25 years old, so not impossible for such issues to arise....
Old 04-10-2024, 03:05 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You may not have any issue sat all. You need a good ODBII reader, pull the fault codes and see what they indicate. IIRC if you disconnect the ABS sensor lead without disconnecting the battery first, you might set an ABS fault for the sensor (or was it with the key in the ignition?). In any case, fault codes will tell you where to go.

Quick Reply: ABS light on after changing hubs