Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986/996 Window Regulator - Correct Stop Position?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 06:21 PM
alexpinson5
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 986/996 Window Regulator - Correct Stop Position?

Before I purchased my 2000 S it got into a bit of an accident with the driver's side door:

Luckily for me all I had to do was swap a paint-matched door over, but the old window regulator was toast. I bought a replacement and installed it, but since then I've had a bit of a window rattle when closing the drivers-side door. Initial inspection shows everything is tight, but the top of the window can flop around a bit. Digging around forums and the service manuals it looks like my window stop (on the bit of the regulator behind the door speaker that attaches to the door shell) is in the wrong position and letting the window retract too far into the door. Makes sense, I'm guessing the regulator I bought was for a 996. From what I've found, I just need to move the stop to the upper position - but here's my question: which of the two upper positions is correct?

From what I've been able to find in photos and videos there are a few different regulators out there. Some only have one stop at the bottom position, some have two, and I haven't seen others with three like mine although it's difficult to discern from photos and videos so that may not be correct.

If it comes to it I can just pull the other door card off and see what that regulator looks like, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
Old 02-13-2024, 08:02 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I just looked at the Bentley manual and there are almost four pages of instructions in section 64 on how to make those adjustments happen.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:45 AM
alexpinson5
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcora
I just looked at the Bentley manual and there are almost four pages of instructions in section 64 on how to make those adjustments happen.
Already checked there. Section 64 does have thorough instructions on adjusting the window position in the regulator, as well as the regulator position relative to the door shell, but there is no mention of the plastic stop which limits the window travel along its tracks. I'd assume because this normally doesn't get changed unless you've installed a 996 regulator like I have. There is a single picture that shows one of the glass adjustment screws and happens to also show the plastic stopper, but my black and white manual is not clear enough to tell which position it is in.

FWIW I moved it to the topmost position last night and the window seems to be operating as it should (with no rattle!)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:17 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Excellent!

Quick Reply: 986/996 Window Regulator - Correct Stop Position?