Sponsored by:

HELP - car idles but does nothing throttle pushed

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 10:38 PM
roscot2001
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP - car idles but does nothing throttle pushed

Hi, Im new here and I just purchased a 1997 Boxster. It had a vacuum leak that I finally found at the oil fill pipe which had multiple cracks. I ordered a new one and just installed it (BIG PAIN). The problem im having now is that the car idles fine but does nothing when I press the throttle. The car ran perfect before i replaced the pipe so it has to be something that i did while replacing it. The only thing I had to do to get enough room was remove the pipe from the AOS and I had to remove the secondary air injection pump. Can anyone help me figure out what i did to cause this?
Old 12-31-2023, 04:08 AM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Since it's a '97 it has a mechanical throttle cable (this changed in '00 I think). If it was working before your oil tube replacement, and the gas pedal literally does nothing now, I'm going to suggest the first thing to check is whether the cable simply got dislodged/disconnected from the throttle body. Make sure the cable end is properly attached to the spring-loaded circular actuator thing on the side of the throttle body, highlighted in the attached photo. (Which is not terribly far from the filler tube....) It just hooks onto a lip just below where you can see in the photo. You can also pull up on that spring-loaded actuator's lip to open the throttle plate directly the way the cable should be pulling it. Presumably that still works. (If not, then it's not the cable's fault!) If you moved the throttle body around while getting at the oil filler tube, the cable might have gotten disconnected somehow. The only other place the cable could conceivably come apart is under the car but you wouldn't have been working in that area.

Last edited by trygve; 12-31-2023 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 10:41 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

+1 for check the throttle cable at the throttle body to make sure it's connected. After that check the bellcrank box under the car, driver's side front of the engine bulkhead, black 90 degree box about 1" wide. There is a spring self adjustment mechanism on top of this box for cable tension as well.
trygve (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 07:34 PM
roscot2001
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANK YOU. That was the problem. The cable had just slid off. Seems like a very poor design. I didn't even think I touched that.
trygve (12-31-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 08:11 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by roscot2001
THANK YOU. That was the problem. The cable had just slid off. Seems like a very poor design. I didn't even think I touched that.
I posted on the 986 forum, but see you've got it covered. Great!

Poor design? lol. Is the 986 your first car? Throttle cables have been around for longer than any of us. Any.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:43 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow, you changed the pipe without pulling the alternator to get to the bolt, and without snapping the coolant hose at the rear bulkhead. I am impressed!!
Old 01-06-2024, 10:18 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Wow, you changed the pipe without pulling the alternator to get to the bolt, and without snapping the coolant hose at the rear bulkhead. I am impressed!!
I agree! I waited until I had my engine out to do mine, PITA job w/ engine in the car.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:16 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I agree! I waited until I had my engine out to do mine, PITA job w/ engine in the car.
I think it would have been easier and taken less time to take the motor out and do the filler tube and AOS. I bought it with the list of problems. I added a few words to my already extensive vocabulary, and three dings on the quarter panel from leaning into the motor getting this car to pass smog. It passed, and now there is only one code that I have 2 years to figure out. I'll probably bring it to 3R next week (or week after) if the roads are dry.

Quick Reply: HELP - car idles but does nothing throttle pushed