Sponsored by:

986S 6 Speed Transmission Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 07:00 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 986S 6 Speed Transmission Replacement Questions

I have a 2000 986S with the manual Getrag 6 speed and my transmission is worn/damaged in 2nd gear as many and also with the pinion bearing (I think) as it has a ton of grease and metal sediment on the magnet. So I've begun searching for a replacement and would like to know what other year 6 speeds will fit. A seller has sent me the Getrag part number from his 2005 off the case and it matches mine but Porsche uses different part numbers for nearly every year.

From the Porsche parts catalog:
-02 986 300 010 21
03- 986 300 010 22

Not sure what the difference is between the two so if anyone knows, please let me know.
And not sure what they use after 2004 as I only have the catalog for 97-04.

The Getrag part number for 2000 to at least 2005 is 2560010291 but this number is even more cryptic. I'm not sure if Porsche has their part number on the case; I didn't see one but I will need to have a closer look at mine to be sure.

So, if anyone knows which transmissions will work, either as straight swaps or with modification, I would love to learn as would others, I'm guessing, as the years go by and these trannys begin to fail at an even higher rate.

One thing I have learned is that the 986S uses 996 internals despite the fact that they spin in different directions due to the orientation of the engine in the car between mid and rear engine placement. I assume the difference is compensated for in the final drive gears which keep all the 1-6 gears and parts the same in both the 986 and 996 transmission.
Also, this sharing of parts could help facilitate a rebuild although I'm guessing 996 transmissions sell for even more than the 986S version.

Getrag 986S 6 Speed Manual Transaxle 2000-2005-?
Old 12-23-2023, 02:41 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

You are correct that your car has a G86.20 transmission, which is kind of a G96 held up to a mirror. You should be fine with any G86.20 transmission as a replacement. I've rebuilt a bunch of them. The only production difference I've noted was a change in the outer race of the front pinion shaft bearing: they introduced a different version of the bearing that has a 2.5 mm step in the race, and the differential carrier (case section) was machined to accommodate. There may be other minor differences, but none that I can think would affect use of the transmission in any model year 986 Boxster S.

After 2004, the Boxster S got the G87 transmission, which doesn't share much with the G86.20 / G96.

In terms of working with a seller, just use the Porsche serial number on the bottom of the case, or on the sticker if it's still attached and legible.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:47 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
You are correct that your car has a G86.20 transmission, which is kind of a G96 held up to a mirror. You should be fine with any G86.20 transmission as a replacement. I've rebuilt a bunch of them. The only production difference I've noted was a change in the outer race of the front pinion shaft bearing: they introduced a different version of the bearing that has a 2.5 mm step in the race, and the differential carrier (case section) was machined to accommodate. There may be other minor differences, but none that I can think would affect use of the transmission in any model year 986 Boxster S.

After 2004, the Boxster S got the G87 transmission, which doesn't share much with the G86.20 / G96.

In terms of working with a seller, just use the Porsche serial number on the bottom of the case, or on the sticker if it's still attached and legible.
Many thanks for the info.

Have you rebuilt them at home or do you work with transmissions? Either way, I'm curious about anything you can tell me about getting to the pinion bearing. I've heard the pinion bearing is a weak spot so maybe the change to a different bearing you mention was for this reason. What's your thought on removing the bearing seals when replacing the bearings?

I've read a lot (well, all I can find online which admittedly is not very much) about the replacement of 2nd gear which seems doable but the pinion bearing looks daunting due to the amount of pressure needed to remove the gears from the hollow pinion shaft Getrag uses. From what I've read, this requires a high pressure press which most shops do not possess and also some type of tool to fit inside the shaft to prevent damage.

Other than 2nd gear and pinion bearing, does this gearbox have any other problems that need concern?

And whatever knowledge you can share about these transaxles will be appreciated by me and others. Or if you have any threads about it...?

Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:53 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I've had a business for 27 years doing race prep, service, and repair of Porsche transmissions.

Getting to the front pinion shaft bearing in your G86.20 requires a pretty complete tear-down of the transmission. Removing the pinion and input shafts is destructive to the front bearing on both shafts: they are held in the differential carrier (large case section) with a good bit of interference. I have a tool I made that lets me remove the pinion shaft without destroying the pinion shaft bearing, which is helpful when going through the process of setting pinion depth. No luck with the input shaft bearing, though. Getrag used the same front pinion bearing in the G87 box, without all the interference. The G96 and G86.20 transmissions just seem to be an exercise in making things difficult, and I am not surprised Porsche has never published workshop information on them: it's an embarrassment.

Yes, you need a mighty press to remove the gear stack from the pinion shaft to replace the bearing. I use a 50-ton press, and it usually reads about 35 tons peak when removing the gears. Re-installation involves heat and prayer.

The change to the bearing design was minor, and does not affect the longevity. Removing the bearing seals may be a good idea, assuming the bearing gets enough lube flow. The input shaft bearing is also sealed, but sits higher and may not get sufficient lubrication without its seals and "permanent" lube.

Getting to second gear is, as you note, less difficult and can be done without removing the shafts or using a press. You will need good quality gear puller tools to do the job: 1st, 2nd, and reverse are on with quite a bit of interference. And you do *not* want to dislodge the spider detents, or you will learn the meaning of "misery" in getting them back in place. Getrag shifted from the crazy three-piece detent design (stone, compression spring, ball) to a one-piece design for the G87 where the three components are captured as a unit. Doh.

As to other issues, 2nd gear pop-out is a common problem, and I am aware of three different solutions available to address the issue. Getting the gear housing on and off is tricky, although less so than the G97 Turbo box. Cheers,

Last edited by KevinGross; 01-06-2024 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
928FIXER (01-10-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 06:33 PM
Cutuhd
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
I have a 2000 986S with the manual Getrag 6 speed and my transmission is worn/damaged in 2nd gear as many and also with the pinion bearing (I think) as it has a ton of grease and metal sediment on the magnet. So I've begun searching for a replacement and would like to know what other year 6 speeds will fit. A seller has sent me the Getrag part number from his 2005 off the case and it matches mine but Porsche uses different part numbers for nearly every year.

From the Porsche parts catalog:
-02 986 300 010 21
03- 986 300 010 22

Not sure what the difference is between the two so if anyone knows, please let me know.
And not sure what they use after 2004 as I only have the catalog for 97-04.

The Getrag part number for 2000 to at least 2005 is 2560010291 but this number is even more cryptic. I'm not sure if Porsche has their part number on the case; I didn't see one but I will need to have a closer look at mine to be sure.

So, if anyone knows which transmissions will work, either as straight swaps or with modification, I would love to learn as would others, I'm guessing, as the years go by and these trannys begin to fail at an even higher rate.

One thing I have learned is that the 986S uses 996 internals despite the fact that they spin in different directions due to the orientation of the engine in the car between mid and rear engine placement. I assume the difference is compensated for in the final drive gears which keep all the 1-6 gears and parts the same in both the 986 and 996 transmission.
Also, this sharing of parts could help facilitate a rebuild although I'm guessing 996 transmissions sell for even more than the 986S version.

Getrag 986S 6 Speed Manual Transaxle 2000-2005-?
You are correct that your car has a G86.20 transmission, which is kind of a G96 held up to a mirror

Quick Reply: 986S 6 Speed Transmission Replacement Questions