3 New Radiators With Broken Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 06:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 3 New Radiators With Broken Boxes

Before I return the third radiator to Rock, is it normal for them to punch through the cardboard box? If it was all metal I wouldn't worry, but plastic and pressure in my opinion is a disaster waiting to happen. Here are pictures.

Would you install any of these radiators? Remember, to install one of these you have to remove the bumper, move the condenser, remove the wheel, remove the wheel well, then you get to the radiator and fan. Remove the hoses which Pelican says slit and replace, and install. Then add $$$ of coolant.

I called my preferred smaller vendor. I asked if they could confirm it would come in a box within a box. Cant, and even though the radiator i am replacing is 25 years old I was told to expect 3 years because "they dont make em like they use to." That doesn't fly in my book.

Nissens delivered today. Label on factory box.

Behr received last week. Label was put on factory box. No box within a box.

The other Behr

Would you install this in your Boxster?

This is how i got it.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:48 AM
longm1985
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracks in THAT material can be extremely hard to see, and fatigue from bending could easily lead to premature failure. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I wouldn't use it. Why would a Behr radiator be packaged so badly...
Old 10-03-2023, 09:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by longm1985
Cracks in THAT material can be extremely hard to see, and fatigue from bending could easily lead to premature failure. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I wouldn't use it. Why would a Behr radiator be packaged so badly...
The Behr and Nissens packages are probably fine for the job if the ham handed folks in the warehouse put them in another box.

The Nissens I bought for our Mini from FCP was shipped in a FCP box. The CSF I bought for my 128i after getting bad ones shipped from another distributor comes in a CSF box within a box with hard foam protecting the radiator. I think the CSF can be dropped from a roof without harm. CSF takes pride in their product, and the FCP warehiuse staff takes pride in their work. Not so for Rock Auto and some others.

Quick Reply: 3 New Radiators With Broken Boxes