Sponsored by:

Air Bag light won't go off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 05:03 PM
Jerry238
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag light won't go off.

Hi everyone, I'm new to Porsche ownership. I have a 2002 986 Base Manual. I've only owned the car about a year and absolutely love it (my first one, I'm 73). I changed the water pump and belt recently. I slid the passenger seat forward to gain access. I did not remove it. Fired right up problem fixed, but now the air bag light is on. I have a Porsche specific code reader by Icarsoft. It wouldn't reset the air bag light. Took it to a dealer, they couldn't reset it, they tried 2 or 3 different processes or machines to attempt reset. I don't know if the air bag will still work with light on, but I want it to work. I thought maybe there was a connector that came undone under the seat. I now have the seat out, and there is one lose connector not attached to anything but taped so tightly to others, it won't reach any other connectors. My car does not have heated seats. The loose connector has 2 wires going to it, brown and brown/orange. There is an empty socket on plastic housing mounted to seat, but I'm not sure that's where it goes. I'm afraid that's for the addition of heated seats. I just don't want to pull a rookie mistake. Can anyone help me please, either how to turn off the light, or find out if something is unplugged by moving the seat forward. I wouldn't think so, but.... Thanks, Jerry

connector attached to seat

connector attached to car. Is this for air bag, or heated seats. I don't have a manual or wiring diagram. Thanks, Jerry
Old 08-15-2023, 11:17 PM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I could be mistaken, but the connector you discovered could be for the Porsche Child Seat deactivation bar.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Child_Seat.htm

That's pretty interesting the dealer couldn't figure out why the warning light is on... I always try to backtrack and think about exactly what was changed (Worked on) just before the light went on.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Dr. C
Instructor

Wrong car, but more info on that deactivation bar, which may or may not be the plug you found, can be seen
Old 08-16-2023, 01:30 AM
Jerry238
6th Gear

Default Good Advice, Thank you

Originally Posted by Dr. C
I could be mistaken, but the connector you discovered could be for the Porsche Child Seat deactivation bar.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Child_Seat.htm

That's pretty interesting the dealer couldn't figure out why the warning light is on... I always try to backtrack and think about exactly what was changed (Worked on) just before the light went on.

Keep us posted.
I just had the dealer try to reset the light. They couldn't which could just mean the problem still exists. I just slid the passenger seat forward to get more room when replacing water pump. The only other thing that might be the cause, is I did not disconnect the battery and I had to order parts. By the time the parts came in, the battery was dead. I installed the water pump, charged the battery and fired it up. That's when the light came on. I've ruled out the plug under the seat. You and others all say it's to the child air bag system. Do you know per chance, will the airbags still deploy even with the light on. I'm out of ideas, Will probably take it to an indie shop, but there all two hours away. Oh Well, life in paradise. Cheers, Jerry
Old 08-17-2023, 10:13 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

I shouldn't even waste space asking this since it's probably not the solution, but how old is the battery? Do you have a battery analyzer and/or a carbon pile load tester?

In most situations if I have a battery that died, I replace it.

I wonder what would happen if you took the old battery out for a significant amount of time, replaced it with a fresh one, then took it back to the dealer (Or someone else who has the PIWIS) and see what happens...

Just a thought.....
Old 08-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Jerry238
6th Gear

Default Battery?

Originally Posted by Dr. C
I shouldn't even waste space asking this since it's probably not the solution, but how old is the battery? Do you have a battery analyzer and/or a carbon pile load tester?

In most situations if I have a battery that died, I replace it.

I wonder what would happen if you took the old battery out for a significant amount of time, replaced it with a fresh one, then took it back to the dealer (Or someone else who has the PIWIS) and see what happens...

Just a thought.....
Hi, Thank you for your reply. It's brand new. I replaced it following this incident. When the old battery died following the drain down while waiting for parts, It wouldn't hold a charge so I bought a new one. Unfortunately it did not fix the issue. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:21 AM
Gerald Finden
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Airbag Light

Here's some info posted by Maurice that I copied some years ago:

The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is dated 6/99 and is TSB number 6924.

There is a "belt buckle service kit" which contains all the needed parts for the fix and that kit is part number 000 043 204 32.

If you are a contributing member on RennTech.org, you can access the TSB's.

When diagnosing Airbag Warning Lamp on and the fault codes are DTC 44, 45, 46, or 50 Drivers side and/or DTC 47, 48, 49, or 51 Passenger side, the faults may be caused by poor connection at pins B7 and B8 of plug connections X16 and X17. The wiring connections have been corrected as of VIN WPOCA2983WS620157 and the belt buckles as of VIN WPOCA298XWS620138.

The latest Porsche fix involves replacing both seat belt buckles, splicing and soldering in four leads with "gold plated and greased" contact springs and substituting them for four of the original contact springs in the 8-pin connector under the driver's (left) side seat (positions B5, B6, B7, & B8), doing the same but with only two contact springs on the 8-pin connector under the passenger's (right) side seat (positions B7 & B8), and then splicing and soldering beefier leads with cable lugs in place of thinner leads all leading to a ground point under each seat.

After that, you must substitute new plug caps on the the 8-pin connectors, which now include a tab that is used to securely fasten all of the wires exiting the 8-pin connectors with cable ties, and add cable ties to the female 8-pin connectors on the undersides of the seats and you are almost done.
Again, it's a straightforward job once you decipher the descriptions and language in the TSB, which is a special chore in itself.

Then you have to reset the airbag light with your Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS and that provides a "permanent" fix.

Not doing both seats (regardless of the specific codes) is just putting off the inevitable, IMHO.

Total cost was about $170, and, contrary to the TSB, no special Porsche tool needed (just an adapted $5 terminal extractor).

Regards, Maurice.

05-17-2012 08:37 AM
Old 08-18-2023, 09:57 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

Wow.

Bravo Gerald Finden.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Jerry238
6th Gear

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Gerald Finden
Here's some info posted by Maurice that I copied some years ago:

The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is dated 6/99 and is TSB number 6924.

There is a "belt buckle service kit" which contains all the needed parts for the fix and that kit is part number 000 043 204 32.

If you are a contributing member on RennTech.org, you can access the TSB's.

When diagnosing Airbag Warning Lamp on and the fault codes are DTC 44, 45, 46, or 50 Drivers side and/or DTC 47, 48, 49, or 51 Passenger side, the faults may be caused by poor connection at pins B7 and B8 of plug connections X16 and X17. The wiring connections have been corrected as of VIN WPOCA2983WS620157 and the belt buckles as of VIN WPOCA298XWS620138.

The latest Porsche fix involves replacing both seat belt buckles, splicing and soldering in four leads with "gold plated and greased" contact springs and substituting them for four of the original contact springs in the 8-pin connector under the driver's (left) side seat (positions B5, B6, B7, & B8), doing the same but with only two contact springs on the 8-pin connector under the passenger's (right) side seat (positions B7 & B8), and then splicing and soldering beefier leads with cable lugs in place of thinner leads all leading to a ground point under each seat.

After that, you must substitute new plug caps on the the 8-pin connectors, which now include a tab that is used to securely fasten all of the wires exiting the 8-pin connectors with cable ties, and add cable ties to the female 8-pin connectors on the undersides of the seats and you are almost done.
Again, it's a straightforward job once you decipher the descriptions and language in the TSB, which is a special chore in itself.

Then you have to reset the airbag light with your Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS and that provides a "permanent" fix.

Not doing both seats (regardless of the specific codes) is just putting off the inevitable, IMHO.

Total cost was about $170, and, contrary to the TSB, no special Porsche tool needed (just an adapted $5 terminal extractor).

Regards, Maurice.

05-17-2012 08:37 AM
Hi, Thanks, great info. I've given up and am taking to an independent t shop 2 hours away on Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Air Bag light won't go off.