Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No noise from speakers, but stereo is on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 PM
alexpinson5
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No noise from speakers, but stereo is on?

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Boxster S with the CDR-220 head unit. I've been having a weird issue lately, and my searching for solutions has been inconclusive so far. The long story short is that sometimes (and only sometimes) the stereo won't output any sound to the speakers. Otherwise the head unit functions as usual, but regardless of source, setting, etc. no sound comes out. Here's what I'm finding that no other similar forum post has mentioned: it only does this when the stereo has had time to initialize and then the engine cranks. For example: I first noticed this about a year ago when I bought the car. If I would stall the car (yeah, yeah, new to driving stick, excuses excuses) and restart the engine I'd get no stereo noise. Recently it's been happening if I pause on accessory to check the oil level - overly paranoid about a minor RMS leak, waiting until weather gets cold to take care of that - the stereo turns on in accessory, I get the oil level, then I start the engine. The radio cuts out while the car is cranking (which seems pretty standard) but then goes silent. Nothing short of turning the car off and waiting for it to go to 'sleep' - i.e. no lights on the dash, interior lights off - will make the speakers work again. If I start the engine right away instead of pausing on accessory I have no issues.

The only think I can think of that is not OEM is the AUX cable I installed, but it seemed fairly standard and plugged right into the back of the head unit (something like this). I don't imagine that's causing any issues but who knows.

Any thoughts??
Old 08-12-2023, 08:42 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

My thought, after having read abut that "system", and on more than one forum... You might consider having installed an aftermarket system. It will sound better, and be less headache. There's enough stuff to work on in our cars and, in my opinion, it shouldn't be some antiquated, buggy, sound system. There are FAR, FAR, FAR better systems out there. Have fun. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:41 PM
alexpinson5
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starter986
My thought, after having read abut that "system", and on more than one forum... You might consider having installed an aftermarket system. It will sound better, and be less headache. There's enough stuff to work on in our cars and, in my opinion, it shouldn't be some antiquated, buggy, sound system. There are FAR, FAR, FAR better systems out there. Have fun. Good luck.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on a few different forum posts. Something with Carplay/Bluetooth would be nice but it's unlikely I decide to shell out the $$$ for the OEM upgrade from Porsche.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:24 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

From your description, I would suspect the amp. Not unusual for these to crap out, leaving the system functioning but with no sound. It can be repaired

Quick Reply: No noise from speakers, but stereo is on?