Sponsored by:

Key Fob Reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 04:51 PM
986porsche1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Reprogramming

My key fob on an '02 986 stopped working all of the sudden. Battery is fine. Think my kid was playing with it and screwed something up.

I am trying not to pay the dealer prices to fix this. Would like to use ECU Doctors, but I am super paranoid about pulling the ECU and immobilizer out myself and shipping them and then damaging something and now changing my issue into something multiple thousand to fix.

Any chance there is an indie in the NYC area that can reprogram the key for me?

Thank you
Old 05-10-2023, 03:51 PM
bredward
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you asked an automotive locksmith? In some cases, they may be able to program a key. I'm not sure how good their coverage is for Porsches, though.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:44 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 986porsche1
My key fob on an '02 986 stopped working all of the sudden. Battery is fine. Think my kid was playing with it and screwed something up.

I am trying not to pay the dealer prices to fix this. Would like to use ECU Doctors, but I am super paranoid about pulling the ECU and immobilizer out myself and shipping them and then damaging something and now changing my issue into something multiple thousand to fix.

Any chance there is an indie in the NYC area that can reprogram the key for me?

Thank you
I’d suggest that here is nothing in the key that your kid can screw up. I presume that the key still locks and unlocks the door and that the car starts and runs OK?
Old 05-11-2023, 10:28 PM
986porsche1
4th Gear

Originally Posted by tcora
I’d suggest that here is nothing in the key that your kid can screw up. I presume that the key still locks and unlocks the door and that the car starts and runs OK?
Yes, that is correct. The key still locks and unlocks and starts the car normally. The only change is that the fob went from working to not working.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:01 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 986porsche1
Yes, that is correct. The key still locks and unlocks and starts the car normally. The only change is that the fob went from working to not working.
Well, “they do that”. I’d try yet another new battery, and take a look at the contacts that touch the battery. If nothing is seen there, I vaguely recall seeing some threads, somewhere, on transplanting electronics from one fob to another.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:52 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 294 Posts

It's quite possible that the switch on the key fob has gone bad . With a little bit of solder experience you can remove the old and solder on the new . It is a simple surface mount switch . I did mine as I only have one key . I replaced all 3 switches and has worked great since 2017 .
Old 05-13-2023, 05:28 PM
986porsche1
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 996C438
It's quite possible that the switch on the key fob has gone bad . With a little bit of solder experience you can remove the old and solder on the new . It is a simple surface mount switch . I did mine as I only have one key . I replaced all 3 switches and has worked great since 2017 .
All 3 buttons on my key dont work. If it were one of them i could see the switch being the problem but not all 3, no? the light on the key lights up when i press any of the 3 buttons

Quick Reply: Key Fob Reprogramming