Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had their windsheild replaced in So Calif? - a trusted/proven referral?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Bond
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had their windsheild replaced in So Calif? - a trusted/proven referral?

Anyone had their windsheild replaced in So Calif? - a trusted/proven referral would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bond
Old 05-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I too would like to know the answer. Mine isnt broken , just pitted enough to bug me. I thought about doing it myself, couldnt be too much rocket science involved. I even saw a new windshield offered on EBay.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:58 AM
LeeR
Racer

Had the windshield on my 993TT recently replaced at Action Auto Glass in Van Nuys. They know what they're doing. You might do a search on windshield, as I think there have have been threads on the 993 board about the OEM German glass being softer, and hence easier to pit, then other replacements available. My 993TT glass was replaced with OEM glass.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 PM
LemmyCaution
2nd Gear

I had mine replaced by Pacific Porsche in Torrance. My deductible is $500 - the replacement was about $675. Porsche considers the windshield to be a integral structural element and replacing with a non-Porsche part could effect my ability to have warranty issues relating to interior rattles covered.

Make sure that they use the correct trim for your car. It has to be replaced. Porsche had two different trim kits for 99. The first they installed (per VIN) didn't look right, the second did.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth -- I don't think this is rocket science. I had the original windshield cracked by a very large high speed rock and made an insurance claim. USAA gave me a list of places and I chose the one closest to home. No problems, leaks, cracks, noise, or whatever -- They did make one mistake in ordering (or Porsche made a mistake in shipping) which delayed me a day. Most likely Porsche made the mistake, because the windshield is matched to the VIN and they shipped one set up for the GPS.

I think the 993 is different because there have been quite a few problems with the windshield mentioned here. The windshield braking while the car is parked in the garage?? how can that happen?

Quick Reply: Anyone had their windsheild replaced in So Calif? - a trusted/proven referral?